TODAY IN HISTORY
THE AICP-END BLOG
PO Box 20669
Bakersfield, CA 93390-0669
Business Phone: 661-374-1430
TODAY IN HISTORY @ THE AICPENDBLOG.COM @ WORDPRESS.COM
359. TODAY IN HISTORY—THURSDAY, DECEMBER 24, 2020:
CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION WEEK 2020
CHRISTMAS EVE EDITION
U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice William Paterson; U.S. Attorney General Edwin M. Stanton; U.S. Secretaries of War Charles Magill Conrad and Edwin M. Stanton; Grand Admiral and Second Führer Karl Dönitz; Blondie featuring Gary Valentine, the Mothers of Invention featuring Ray Collins, and Thin Lizzy featuring Darren Wharton:
- 640 Monday: John IV begins his reign as Catholic Pope.
- 1476 Wednesday: During the Siege of Nancy, 400 Burgundian soldiers freeze to death outside the walls.
- 1524 Sunday: Portuguese navigator Vasco de Gama—who had discovered a sea route around Africa to India—died in Cochin, India.
- 1715 Sunday: Swedish troops occupy the Kingdom of Norway.
- 1745 Wednesday: In County Antrim, Ireland, future 8th U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice William Paterson is born. President George Washington would nominate his fellow Federalist to the nation’s new high court to fill the seat of Associate Justice Thomas Johnson. Paterson would serve from 03-04-1793 to 09-08-1806.
- 1798 Saturday: England and Russia sign second anti- French coalition treaty.
- 1804 Sunday: In Winchester, Virginia, the future 22nd U.S. Secretary of War Charles Magill Conrad is born. A Whig, he served under President Millard Fillmore 10-25-1852 to 11-05-1852.
- 1809 Saturday: Legendary American frontiersman Christopher “Kit” Carson was born in Madison County, Kentucky, on this date.
- 1814 Friday: The War of 1812 officially ended as the United States and Great Britain signed the Treaty of Ghent.
- 1818 Wednesday: Franz Gruber of Oberndorf, Germany, composed the music for “Silent Night” to words written by Josef Mohr.
- 1851 Tuesday: Fire devastated the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., destroying 35,000 volumes.
- 1865 Saturday: Several veterans of the Confederate Army formed a private social club in Pulaski, Tennessee, called the Ku Klux Klan.
- 1869 Thursday: The 27th U.S. Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton died at age 55 in Washington, D.C. He served under Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson from 01-20-1862 to 05-28-1868. Prior to this, he served the nation as its 25th U.S. Attorney General. First a Democrat and then a Republican, he served under President James Buchanan from 12-20-1860 to 03-04-1861.
- 1871 Saturday: Giuseppe Verdi’s opera, “Aida,” had its world premiere in Cairo, Egypt.
- 1904 Saturday: German Southwest Africa abolishes the slavery of young children within the boundaries of their colony.
- 1906 Monday: Canadian physicist Reginald A. Fessenden became the first person to transmit the human voice (his own) as well as music over radio, from Brant Rock, Massachusetts.
- 1913 Wednesday: Seventy-three people, most of them children, died in a crush of panic after someone falsely called out “Fire!” during a Christmas party for striking miners and their families at the Italian Hall in Calumet, Michigan.
- 1914 Thursday: A German plane drops bombs on Dover, England, during the early days of World War I. Meanwhile, impromptu Christmas truces began to take hold along parts of the Western Front as British and German soldiers who, in some cases, exchanged gifts and even played soccer with one another. However, their commanding officers would soon crack down on this fraternization.
- 1937 Friday: The Dutch government recognizes Italy’s King Victor Emmanuel II as the legitimate ruler of the African nation of Abyssinia.
- 1941 Wednesday: The first ships of Admiral Nagumo’s Pearl Harbor attack fleet return to Japan. Meanwhile, on the Eastern Front, the Soviets are pushing back German positions through fierce counterattacks. The German 10th Infantry Division is driven from the town of Chern. After berating his superior, Field Marshal von Kluge, the field marshal relieves the famed panzer General Heinz Guderian of his command.
- 1942 Thursday: The Red Army occupies German airports at Tasjinskaja and Morozowsk outside of Stalingrad on this date during World War II, which severely limits the ability of the Axis forces to resupply the beleaguered command. Across the Mishkova River, the 6th Panzer Division begins withdrawing back to the western side of the frozen body of water. This would seal the fate of the Sixth Army, soon to be entombed in the city. More men were dying- 1,280 today alone- from frostbite, starvation, disease, and by their own hand. The German army had not lost on this scale ever before although the year prior, the Red Army was able to push them back from their capital.
- 1943 Friday: President Franklin D. Roosevelt appointed General Dwight D. Eisenhower supreme commander of Allied forces in Europe as part of Operation Overlord.
- 1944 Sunday: During World War II, a German U-boat torpedoed the Belgian transport ship S.S. Leopoldville with 2,235 soldiers aboard her. About 800 U.S. soldiers died. The ship was in the process of crossing the English Channel to bring reinforcements to the battle that became the Battle of the Bulge.
- 1948 Friday: For the first time ever, a midnight Mass went out over the airwaves. The broadcast came from St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City. Elsewhere, people occupied the first completely solar-heated house in Dover, Massachusetts.
- 1951 Monday: Gian Carlo Menotti’s “Amdahl and the Night Visitors,” the first opera written specifically for television, was first broadcast by NBC.
- 1954 Friday: The nation of Laos gains its independence from France.
- 1955 Saturday: The Continental Air Defense Command Operations Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado, fielded a series of phone calls from children wanting to know the whereabouts of Santa Claus after an ad in a local newspaper mistakenly gave the center’s number. Thus, began a tradition continued by the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) of tracking Santa’s location the night before Christmas. Elsewhere, future bassist with the NYC rock band, Blondie[i], Gary Valentine (bass 1975-77 / 1997), is born on this date.
- 1961 Sunday: In Failsworth, Lancashire, UK, future member of Anglo-Irish American band, Thin Lizzy[ii]– Darren Wharton (keyboards 1980-83, 1996-2001, 2010-present) is born.
- 1966 Saturday: Luna 13 landed on the moon.
- 1967 Sunday: Joe Namath of the New York Jets became the first NFL quarterback to pass for 4,000 yards in a single season.
- 1968 Tuesday: Apollo 8 astronauts read passages from the Book of Genesis in the Old Testament. The astronauts—James A. Lovell, William Anders, and Frank Borman—reached the moon on this date. As they did so, they orbited the moon 10 times before returning safely to Earth. Seven months later, humankind landed on the moon.
- 1974 Tuesday: Cyclone Tracy began battering the Australian city of Darwin, resulting in widespread damage, and causing some 65 deaths.
- 1979 Monday: Soviet troops invaded Afghanistan on this date in support of the country’s Marxist government.
- 1980 Wednesday: In Aumühle, Germany, former German Naval submarine arm commander and second Führer following the death of Adolf Hitler- Grand Admiral Karl Dönitz died. Meanwhile, Americans remembered the U.S. hostages in the pig sty of Iran by burning candles or shining lights for 417 seconds, one second for each day of captivity.
- 1981 Thursday: Reggie Jackson announced that he would join Gene Autry’s California Angels for the 1982 season.
- 1984 Monday: Actor Peter Lawford, 61, died in Los Angeles, California.
- 1986 Wednesday: Iranian military units launch an assault on the Iraqi islands in the Shatt-al-Arab Waterway. The Iranians use human wave attacks led by young boys the mullahs convince will go to heaven if they die in combat.
- 1989 Sunday: Ousted Panamanian ruler Manuel Noriega took refuge at the Vatican City’s diplomatic mission in Panama City.
- 1990 Monday: Prior the commencement of the Gulf War, Saddam Hussein, the dictator of Iraq, threatens that Israel will be his ‘number one target,’ should the Coalition attempt to drive Saddam’s troops out of Kuwait. Elsewhere, Scientologist freak, Tom Cruise, married Nicole Kidman on this date.
- 1992 Thursday: President George H. W. Bush pardons Casper Weinberger and five others for their wrongdoings in the Iran-Contra Affair.
- 1993 Friday: The Rev. Norman Vincent Peale, who’d blended Christian and psychiatric principles into a message of “positive thinking,” died in Pawling, New York, at age 96.
- 1994 Saturday: Militants hijacked an Air France Airbus A-300 at the Algiers airport; the Islamists murdered three passengers before French commandoes in Marseille killed all four hijackers two days later.
- 1997 Wednesday: For the first time in Vatican history, the cardinals light a Hanukkah candle in honor of the Jews. Elsewhere, Ilich Ramirez Sanchez, known as “Carlos the Jackal,” received a sentence of life in prison from a French court for the 1975 murders of two French investigators and a Lebanese national.
- 2010 Friday: After signing an agreement with Russia, France announces plans to build two warships for the nation.
- 2011 Saturday: Cuba announces that it will release 2,900 prisoners from its jails, including political prisoners.
- 2012 Monday: Pakistan reports that it will recognize the government of the Republic of Kosovo. Elsewhere, former member of the Mothers of Invention[iii], Ray Collins (vocals/percussion 1964-68), died on this date.
- 2013 Tuesday: Before celebrating Christmas Mass, Pope Francis I paid a visit to former Pope Benedict XVI at the Papal retirement home. Meanwhile, in the United States today is the final day for Americans to sign up for Obamacare or face penalties.
- 2014 Wednesday: Someone screws up and sends a live Ebola virus sample to the Center for Disease Control laboratory that did not meet safety and security standards for transmitting such a sample; a laboratory worker undergoes 21-day quarantine.
- 2015 Thursday: Human Rights Watch reports that Nigerian soldiers quickly buried the bodies of about 300 Shia Muslims killed during a raid on a home owned by jihadist Ibrahim Zakzaky. Ah, well, stuff happens.
- 2016 Saturday: The government of Nigeria announces that is armed forces have driven the Boko Haram human scum out of their remaining stronghold in Sambisa Forest in the northeastern part of their country. Good going!
- 2017 Sunday: Israel currently is in talks with 10 countries to see if they will also move their embassies to Jerusalem as the United States is doing. Due to threats of violence by anti-Semites around the world, the Israeli government is not naming names although news reports suggest that both Honduras and Guatemala may because they voted in support of the U.S. move in the United Nations.
- 2018 Monday: In the worst performance ever on a Christmas Eve, the Dow Jones Industrial Complex dropped 2.9-percent. Meanwhile, in Pakistan, former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif receives a prison sentence of seven years for corruption. Elsewhere, an 8-year-old boy dies in ICE custody in New Mexico which sets off all the bleeding-heart liberals to begin running amok.[iv]
- 2019 Tuesday: Following the release of ‘explosive emails’ regarding the phone call between President Donald J. Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, the Democrats in the Senate are demanding ‘impeachment witnesses.’ This din of demands for witnesses will reach a cacophony over the next couple of weeks as the Democrats want the Senate to do the job they were unable to do: find evidence of wrongdoing by President Trump. Meanwhile, President Trump blasts the cruel treatment of Roger Stone and Gen. Mike Flynn and dodges questions as to whether he will pardon them or he won’t.
- 2020 Thursday: As if restaurant workers already don’t have enough problems, the Labor Department is considering a law that will force tip employees- as long as they make minimum wage which they have since the 1980s- share their tips with the BACK OF THE HOUSE EMPLOYEES. This is crazy, they already MUST declare their tips as part of their wages which has cost tip workers loads of money but now, this is even more insane. This cannot happen. Where is that dingbat, Alexandria Ocasio Cortez?
- 2020 Thursday A: Black pastors condemn Senator Kelly Loeffler’s attacks on the ‘Reverend’ Raphael Warnock as an attack on the ‘BLACK CHURCH.’ It’s not an attack on the ‘Black Church,’ it’s an attack on a Marxist. Are black churches “Marxist?” Regarding the two Senate run-off races in Georgia, “Pro-China Joe” Biden says he ‘won’t name anymore Cabinet picks until January.” He is afraid that if he continues naming leftists, people will vote GOP- which we hope they do.
- 2020 Thursday B: A recent USA poll says that ’50 percent of Americans see President Donald J. Trump as a failed president.’ This means that 50-percent of Americans see him as ‘successful.’ (He also is considering a special counsel to look into 2020). Speaking of Fake News outlets, Fox News Channel ratings have dropped an astounding 30-percent. Wow. We’re surprised that that’s all. Another poll down in Georgia says, ‘women voters are split among the senatorial candidates.’ Why? Warnock is an angry black communist and Jon Ossoff is a pro-Chi-Com closet queen. Neither of these two should appeal to any woman worth her salt.
- 2020 Thursday C: The GOP says, “NO” to President Trump’s demands for $2,000 stimulus checks for each American instead of giving money to foreign countries and the despicable illegal aliens raping our country. What’s up with this, Republicans? Meanwhile, newly pardoned Roger Stone rebukes the ‘Soviet-style show trials’ conducted by the Democrats and their hirelings on the courts. Look at what they’ve done to the patriots who served the 45th president like Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn, Ret. U.S. Army. It was criminal what they’ve done to him. Even better, Roger Stone plans on suing the FBI, James Comey, Bill Barr, Robert Mueller III, and his gang of hacks, as well as the Department of Justice. You go, Roger, you go!
- 2020 Thursday D: The Kremlin says new U.S. sanctions could complicate Nord Stream 2’s completion. Ah, well. CISA (Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency) say that the hacks of the SolarWinds digital security provider are affecting state and local governments the most. Many believe Russia’s cyber attacks must be viewed as nuclear strikes. Let’s light those backwards M-F’ers up. Speaking of Russia’s boss, communist China, the Chi-Coms are launching an antitrust suit against THEIR company, Alibaba. Curious. Elsewhere, Great Britain and the European Union finally reach agreement on Brexit. About time.
- 2020 Thursday E: Christine Mohr, former canine officer in Maryland’s Prince George County publicly thanked President Donald J. Trump for her full pardon. Following an incident in 1995 when her police dog bit a burglary suspect, she received a 10-year prison sentence over a ‘civil rights violation’ when her dog bit the punk. What the f**k is wrong in this country when cops are sent to prison over stupid-assed shit? Elsewhere, Wall Street executives are fleeing New York City for south Florida for its weather and its low taxes. Go figure. Meanwhile, Maryland authorities investigate the explosion that occurred yesterday at the Baltimore Gas and Electric building that toppled the roof and sent 21 people to the hospital.
- 2020 Thursday F: South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem says she ‘won’t primary’ RINO Republican Senator Jon Thune in 2022. Meanwhile, Representative Ted Budd, R-NC, joins the GOP-led effort to REJECT the 2020 Presidential Election’s Electoral College votes due to the rampant voter fraud and corruption exhibited by elected officials. Excellent. Elsewhere, Democrat Congressman Rick Larsen of Washington state becomes the latest politician infected with the Xi Jinping Bat Flu. Hydroxychloroquine works extremely well, sir. Speaking of the Chi-Com Fever, the Russians claim- get this- that while they were working on the so-called ‘Sputnik vaccine’ to use against their Chi-Com masters’ lab-engineered pandemic, they also have a prototype vaccine for HIV-AIDS. Who wants to be first in line for that crap?
- 2020 Thursday G: Folks, here are the numbers for the Xi Jinping Yellow Fever, Chi-Com Virus, the Wuhan Horseshoe Bat Flu- Pelosi Pox: Here are the statistics for the planet as a whole: 79,226,905 confirmed cases, +755,130, 1,739,456, confirmed deaths, +13,497, and 44,628,688 confirmed recoveries, +408,889 (same number as reported a week ago). Next, here are the stats for the United States, the intended target of the Chinese-engineered Wuhan Virus pandemic: 18,829,110 confirmed cases, UP 220,038 from yesterday’s reporting, 332,145 confirmed deaths, UP 2,973, and 8,270,113 confirmed recoveries, UP 44,542. Here are the stats for Israel now that Mo is living there: 389,502 confirmed cases, 3,170 confirmed deaths, and 354,616 confirmed recoveries.
- 2020 Thursday H: Next, in the three states in which, the world-famous, anti-communist American Institute of Culinary Politics-the Elemental News of the Day employs chef-bloggers- California, Hawaii, and Washington- here are the stats, California first: 2,012,960 confirmed cases, 23,635 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Next here are the numbers for Hawaii: 20,749 confirmed cases, 285 confirmed deaths, and as of last week, NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Finally, here are the stats for leftist-Marxist-socialist hellhole of Washington: 234,832 confirmed cases, 3,245 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Let’s look at one other state: Wisconsin- currently, they have 500,443 confirmed cases, 4,956 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries- thank you, Governor Tony Evers- leftwing POS.
- 2020 Thursday I: Due to all the people becoming ill with the Xi Jinping Bat Flu- the Pelosi Pox, nurses are sending out an SOS for additional help. They are being overrun at the moment. Meanwhile, much of continental Europe as well as the Empire State are closing off air travel from Great Britain (and some are closing off travel from South Africa) due to the new strain of the Wuhan Virus Crisis that is now running amok in the UK. Although said NOT to be as lethal as the original strain of COVID-19, it is highly more contagious which means more people sickened requiring greater resources. SOMEONE TELL US THAT THE CHI-COMS DID NOT DO THIS ON PURPOSE! Stop bitching about Russia, the country to nuke is communist China NOW (or infect them with one of our own biowarfare agents). Meanwhile, as leftists in the United States are urging minorities to receive the virus before whites as some sort of sick form or reparations, Chef Bea O’Malley of the AICPENDBLOG.COM says, “We’ve been down this road before. When white people are telling black people they need to take some medication, it’s time to watch the heck out because we’ve been there, done that, and it never works out well for us.” Amen, Bea, amen.
- 2020 Wednesday J: Here are today’s Stock Market closes: DOW Jones Industrial Average: 30,199.87, UP 70.04 points (+0.23%). Next, the NASDAQ: 12,804.73, UP 33.62 points (+0.26%). Finally, here are the stats for the S&P 500: 3,703.06, UP 13.05 points (+0.35%). The price of GOLD is $1,882.60 per troy oz., -0.60 (-0.02%) while the price of SILVER is $25.94 per troy ounce, +0.037 (+0.14%). The price of PLATINUM is $1,027.20 per troy oz, -1.70 (-0.17%) while the price of COPPER is $3.57 per pound, +0.009 (+0.25%). The price of PALLADIUM is $2,339.10 per troy oz, +16.00 (+0.69%). The price of Light Sweet Crude Oil is $48.30 per barrel, +0.07 (+0.15%). Currently, one-dollar U.S. = 6.53 Chi-Com yuan. Meanwhile, one-dollar U.S. = 0.82 euros and in Mexican pesos equals 19.86. On Christmas Eve, let’s have some fun- one-dollar U.S. = 73.86 Russian Rubles.
- 2020 Thursday K: NO Thursday Night NFL game tonight. The game will be played tomorrow at 1:30 P.M. on Christmas Day- (1) Minnesota Vikings (6-8) @ New Orleans Saints (10-4).
- 2020 Thursday L: Even on Christmas Eve, we don’t stop- we will keep you posted on whatever the Chi-Coms, their foreign allies, and their Democratic stooges in the U.S. are up to today. Stick around and find out…
BEVERLY CARRICK ORIGINAL ARTWORK OF THE DAY:
This artwork is #0322 a 16” x 20” original oil painting by Beverly Carrick, which, she entitled, “Friend or Faux.” It is among her more beautiful works and is available for sale. You can see much more of her work at her Website, found at beverlycarrick.com, or at the blog’s Facebook page. At her Website, you will see not only more original oil paintings but also lithographs, giclees, prints, miniatures, photographs, and even her award-winning instructional video entitled, “Painting the Southwest with Beverly Carrick.” Beverly has been painting for more than 60 years and known around the world for both the beauty and timelessness of her artworks. Hanging in private and public galleries and followed by many fans encircling the globe—her works instill awe because of her artistic brilliance and personal beauty. We urge you to go to her Website NOW and view her work. It is possible that you will find something you like and will want to buy it for yourself, a friend, a loved one, or a neighbor! You will not be disappointed so please: do yourself a favor and go there IMMEDIATELY! Thank you, the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day!
Beverly Carrick: The World’s Greatest Artist (1927-2012)
ALBUM OF THE DAY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM:
The next best of package released by the J. Geils Band came out on March 12, 1985. “Flashback- the Very Best of the J. Geils Band” contained ten of the band’s best tunes from later in its career. No matter how you parse it, the JGB is one of America’s greatest bands and every tune they recorded and released is enjoyable plain and simple. We hope you will seek out this glorious release and give it a good listen as it will become a favorite driving music album to be sure. Please, seek it out wherever you shop for the absolute best in rock music and enjoy. You will be glad you did…
The above icon is the “Trademark of Quality and Symbol of Integrity/Logo” of the Magnolia Hilltop Brewers and of What’s Cookin’ Productions. The AICP-END Blog copyrights this article © 12-24-2020, all rights reserved. Total Word Count: 2,040 (this includes endnotes).
The American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day
The Stinkbug symbol on CDs, DVDs, and Books means “approved by the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day” as well as adjusted or edited by the photographic editor
Original Beverly Carrick Artworks, Beverly Carrick—World Famous Artist, The Mothers of Invention, Ray Collins, Blondie, Gary Valentine, U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice William Paterson, Thin Lizzy, Darren Wharton, U.S. Secretary of War Charles Magill Conrad, U.S. Attorney-General Edwin M. Stanton, U.S. Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, Operation Overlord, Battle for Moscow, Stalingrad, V. Vicky Mazarotti, J. Geils Band- the,
TODAY IN HISTORY, THURSDAY DECEMBER 24, 2020
PLEASE READ OUR MAIN BLOG POST, PUBLISHED AT 12:01 A.M.
Thursday, December 24, 2020:
[i] We hope to promote the music of Blondie within the next 7-8 years. We hope you will be with us when we do.
[ii] We look forward to promoting the music of Thin Lizzy when we promote the music of U2, sometime within the next 4-5 years. We hope you will be with us when we do.
[iii] We promoted the music of the Mothers of Invention as well as of Frank Zappa, beginning on Monday, 21-January-2013 through Monday, 13-May-2013. We hope you will check them out and consider adding them to your collection as they are one of America’s finest rock bands.
[iv] Our attitude is such that any illegal alien parent brings their brat along with them- or worse- puts them in the hands of human traffickers- whatever happens to them is on YOU- not us, not Mexico, or anyone else.
Please donate to the AICPENDBLOG.COM as we seek to build the best Website on the planet
We encourage everyone to donate to the American Institute of Culinary Politics-The Elemental News of the Day, a place where professional chefs and culinary workers voice their opinions and do so sans any fear. We hope you will join us in the effort to build the best Website the world has ever seen. Will you help?
WE WELCOME ALL OUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS TO THE NEW AICPENDBLOG.COM AT WORDPRESS.COM WHERE SCUM SUCH AS SUNDAR PICHAI CANNOT DRIVE A DAGGER INTO ONE’S NECK. PLEASE, SEND ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO VISIT US HERE AS THIS IS WHERE YOU GET THE UNVARNISHED TRUTH AND NOT THE ‘TRUTH’ COMMUNIST CHINA AND ITS LACKEYS WANT YOU TO HEAR