TODAY IN HISTORY
THE AICP-END BLOG
PO Box 20669
Bakersfield, CA 93390-0669
Business Phone: 661-374-1430
TODAY IN HISTORY @ THE AICPENDBLOG.COM @ WORDPRESS.COM
333. TODAY IN HISTORY—SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 28, 2020:
U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Samuel Nelson; U.S. Secretaries of War Lindley Miller Garrison and Dwight F. Davis; U.S. Senator Michael Bennet; the Clash featuring Nick Sheppard and Rob Harper, Elton John and John Lennon, Little River Band featuring Beeb Birtles, and Steppenwolf featuring Jerry Edmonton:
- 741 Wednesday: St. Gregory III ends his reign as Catholic Pope.
- 1340 Wednesday: At the Battle of Salado, Spain, the Catholic hosts drive back the final invasion of the Iberian Peninsula by the Moors.
- 1520 Thursday: Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan reached the Pacific Ocean after passing through the South American strait that now bears his name.
- 1582 Thursday: Playwright and poet William Shakespeare weds Anne Hathaway.
- 1775 Sunday: The Second Continental Congress formally establishes the U. S. Navy.
- 1795 Thursday: The United States pays $800,000 ransom and a frigate to Algiers to get its sailors returned from the Arabs’ prisons.
- 1861 Wednesday: The Confederate Congress admitted Missouri as the 12th state of the Confederacy after Missouri’s disputed secession from the Union.
- 1864 Sunday: In Camden, New Jersey, the future 46th U.S. Secretary of War Lindley Miller Garrison is born. A future Democrat, he would serve under President Woodrow Wilson from 03-05-1913 to 02-10-1916.
- 1872 Wednesday: The 29th U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Samuel Nelson, a Democrat, retired from the nation’s high court on this date. He was nominated by President John Tyler to fill Associate Justice Smith Thompson’s seat. He assumed his position on 02-14-1845 and served until today.
- 1885 Friday: At the end of the Third Anglo-Burmese War, British troops occupied Mandalay.
- 1905 Tuesday: Irish nationalists founded the terror-political party, Sinn Fein in Dublin.
- 1912 Thursday: Albania declared its independence from the Ottoman Empire.
- 1916 Tuesday: During World War I, the first German zeppelin attacks take place over southern England.
- 1919 Friday: American-born Lady Astor becomes the first female member of the British Parliament through winning an election.
- 1922 Tuesday: Captain Cyril Turner of the British Air Force gave the first public skywriting exhibition spelling out, “Hello USA. Call Vanderbilt 7200” over Times Square in New York; about 47,000 calls resulted in less than three hours.
- 1925 Saturday: The Grand Ole Opry made its radio debut on station WSM.
- 1929 Thursday: Ernie Nevers of the St. Louis Cardinals became the first professional football player to score six touchdowns in a single game.
- 1939 Tuesday: The Soviet Union negates the non-aggression pact between their nation and neighboring Finland in preparation for launching the Winter War.
- 1941 Friday: During World War II on the Eastern Front, Axis troops temporarily abandon the Soviet city of Rostov due to Russian counterattacks.
- 1942 Saturday: Nearly 500 people died in a fire that destroyed the Coconut Grove Nightclub in Boston. The cause of the rapidly spreading fire which began in the basement, is in dispute; one theory is that a busboy accidentally ignited an artificial palm tree while using a lighted match to fix a lightbulb.
- 1942 Saturday A: The Soviet high command at STAVKA continues demanding speedy deployment of additional troops, striking towards the Don in the hope of cutting off German Army Group A in its entirety rather than just maintaining and strengthening the iron ring around Stalingrad and the immediate German and other Axis troops in the cauldron. The Russians are stretching their forces thin which will enable Field Marshal Erich von Manstein and the relief force he is assembling to make good headway early in December.
- 1943 Sunday: President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and Soviet leader Josef Stalin began conferring in Tehran during World War II.
- 1944 Tuesday: The MGM movie musical “Meet me in St. Louis,” starring Judy Garland, opened in New York, six days after its world premiere in St. Louis.
- 1945 Wednesday: In Washington, D.C., the former 49th U.S. Secretary of War Dwight F. Davis died. A Republican, he served under President Calvin Coolidge from 10-14-1925 to 03-04-1929.
- 1948 Sunday: Future guitarist/vocalist with the Australian rock group- Little River Band[i]– Beeb Birtles- is born in Amsterdam, Netherlands on this date.
- 1955 Monday: Future drummer with the British rock band, the Clash[ii]—Rob Harper—is born in the United Kingdom on this date.
- 1958 Friday: Chad, Gabon, and Middle Congo became autonomous republics within the French community.
- 1960 Monday: Future guitarist with the British rock band, the Clash[iii]—Nick Sheppard—is born in the United Kingdom on this date
- 1961 Tuesday: President John F. Kennedy dedicated the original permanent headquarters of the Central Intelligence Agency in Langley, Virginia. Meanwhile, Ernie Davis of Syracuse University became the first African American football player to be named winner of the Heisman Trophy.
- 1963 Thursday: President Lyndon Baines Johnson announced that the federal government would rename Cape Canaveral to Cape Kennedy in honor of his slain predecessor. However, a decade later by a popular vote of the residents, the name reverted to the original, Cape Canaveral.
- 1964 Saturday: The United States launched the space probe Mariner 4 on a course for Mars, which it flew past in 1965, sending back amazing photos of the red planet. Elsewhere, in New Delhi, India, future Democratic Senator Michael Bennet is born. He would enter the world’s greatest deliberative body on January 21, 2009, representing the state of Colorado.
- 1968 Thursday: John Lennon[iv] suffers a £150 fine for possession of drugs.
- 1970 Saturday: In the 58th Canadian Football League Grey Cup, the Montreal Alouettes defeat the Calgary Stampeders 23-10.
- 1971 Sunday: In the 59th Canadian Football League Grey Cup, the Calgary Stampeders defeat the Toronto Argonauts 14-11.
- 1974 Thursday: John Lennon performs on stage for the last time in his life, at Madison Square Garden in New York with Elton John[v].
- 1977 Monday: Once a story appeared in print in Sports Illustrated magazine, the word was now out that Larry Byrd was “College Basketball’s Secret Weapon.”
- 1978 Tuesday: The Iranian government banned religious marches to stop the tidal wave of Islamic extremism.
- 1979 Wednesday: An Air New Zealand DC-10 en route to the South Pole crashed into a mountain in Antarctica, killing all 257 people aboard.
- 1982 Sunday: In the 70th Canadian Football League Grey Cup, the Edmonton Eskimos beat the Toronto Argonauts 32-16.
- 1986 Friday: The administration of Ronald Reagan exceeds the limitations imposed by the SALT II treaty for the first time.
- 1987 Saturday: A South African Airways Boeing 747 crashed into the Indian Ocean with the loss of all 159 people aboard.
- 1990 Wednesday: Margaret Thatcher resigned as Britain’s prime minister on this date.
- 1993 Sunday: In the 81st Canadian Football League Grey Cup, the Edmonton Eskimos beat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 33-23. Meanwhile, Jerry Edmonton, original drummer for the rock band, Steppenwolf,[vi] died in a car crash.
- 1994 Monday: Norway votes against joining the European Union. Elsewhere, in a Wisconsin prison, a fellow inmate murdered serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, who chose to leave protective custody and go into the general population. Finally, 1960s war protester Jerry Rubin died in Los Angeles, California, two weeks after being hit by a car; he was 56.
- 1995 Tuesday: U.S. President Bill Clinton signed a $6 billion road bill that ended the federal 55-MPH speed limit.
- 2001 Wednesday: Enron Corporation, once the world’s largest energy trader, collapsed after would-be rescuer Dynergy Inc. backed out of an $8.4 billion takeover deal.
- 2002 Thursday: Officials recovered the body of CIA official Johnny “Mike” Spann from a prison compound in Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan, after Northern Alliance rebels backed by U.S. airstrikes and Special Forces quelled an uprising by Taliban and al-Qaida prisoners.
- 2003 Friday: President George W. Bush returned to his ranch in Crawford, Texas, after a secret, nearly 36-hour journey that took him to Iraq for a Thanksgiving visit with U.S. troops.
- 2004 Sunday: NBC Sports chair Dick Ebersol was injured, his 14-year-old son Teddy among three people killed, when a charter plane crashed during takeoff outside Montrose, Colorado.
- 2009 Saturday: A conservative Iranian legislator warned his country might pull out of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty after a U.N. resolution censuring Tehran. Meanwhile, for a second straight day, Tiger Woods was unavailable to speak to the Florida Highway Patrol about an accident involving his SUV that sent him to the hospital with injuries.
- 2010 Sunday: Wikileaks releases 250,000 sensitive information and classified U.S. documents sent by embassies to the U.S. State Department; the U.S. government condemns the unauthorized disclosures.
- 2011 Monday: Violence begins to erupt in the Democratic Republic of the Congo as the people head to the polls for a general election. Elsewhere, the United States is attempting to coddle the Pakistanis after two airstrikes on Pakistani military checkpoints in Afghanistan killed beaucoup Pakistanis. That’s Obama for you…
- 2012 Wednesday: Egyptian thug-dictator Mohammad Morsi announces he will address the nation about the executive decree he enacted that greatly increases his powers as president. Meanwhile, in Damascus, Syria, two car bombs explode killing 54 and wounding another 120 Syrian citizens.
- 2013 Thursday: Iran experiences a 5.6-magnitude earthquake, 35 miles from the Bushehr nuclear plant, raising concerns over the risk of radioactive leaks in the event of a major earthquake; seven people die and 30 are injured.
- 2014 Friday: In Austin, Texas, police shoot and kill a man who set fire to the Mexican Consulate, shot at the police headquarters and the federal building as well as at other targets. The authorities suspect it might have something to do with anti-immigration sentiments. Meanwhile, following an attack in Yarkant County, communist China, Chi-Com police apprehend and murder 11 Uighur ‘terrorists,’ blaming them for the attack that killed 15 and wounded another 14 Chinese civilians.
- 2015 Saturday: Following the recent shooting at the Planned Parenthood ‘chop shop’ in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Planned Parenthood Rocky Mountains President Vicki Cowart promised to reopen the ‘women’s reproductive rights center soon,’ the place where babies are dismantled in the womb. Meanwhile, Dr. Ben Carson meets with Syrian refugees in Jordan as he swings through the Middle East.
- 2016 Monday: President-elect Donald J. Trump chooses Representative Tom Price, R-GA, to be his Health and Human Services secretary. Mr. Trump announces he is set to meet with former Governor Mitt Romney tomorrow in his quest to discover the perfect fit for U.S. secretary of state. That should be interesting.
- 2017 Tuesday: In the U.S. Senate, the Budget Committee passes President Donald J. Trump’s tax cut plan, one Democrats screech and wail is ‘tax cuts for the rich,’ but which will benefit John and Jane Q. Public by reducing their tax burden. Meanwhile, problematic as ever, the North Koreans launch an intercontinental ballistic missile test that travels about 600 miles until it goes down in the Sea of Japan.
- 2018 Wednesday: Democrats overwhelmingly nominated Nancy Pelosi to become House speaker when Democrats took control of the House in January 2019. Meanwhile, stocks surged to their highest gain in eight months after Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell hinted that the Fed might NOT raise interest rates much further; the Dow Jones Industrial Average soared 617 points higher.
- 2019 Thursday: Problems continue in Iraq a day after thugs burnt down the Iranian consulate in Najais, Iraqi security forces open fire on a crowd of Shiite protesters in Nasiriya killing at least 25 and wounding loads of others. Meanwhile, the European Parliament declares a state of ‘climate emergency.’
- 2020 Saturday: Sadly, Chi-Com/Democratic Party-backed anti-Thanksgiving protests continue in various parts of the country with statues being defaced or torn down and businesses destroyed. It is time for police to do this duty and to begin cracking down on this socialist-communist scum. Meanwhile, we learn that 77-percent of Americans believe that in order for government to scoop up U.S. citizens’ online data, they first must get a warrant. This is NOT the People’s Republic of China. Next, we learn that the Trump administration fired 11 members of the defense advisory board. We also learn that both the Iran and the Chi-Coms provided aid to the Democratic Party in general and to the campaign of “Pro-China Joe” Biden in particular during the campaign. Speaking of Iran, they are sniveling that Israel whacked their nuclear scientist. Oh, boohoo. The Trump administration is slapping additional sanctions on nations helping the Iranian missile program.
- 2020 Saturday A: A former aid to Governor Andrew “Murderer” Cuomo says the New York failed governor is trying to ‘milk his 15 minutes of fame.’ We agree with this viewpoint. The man is a hack. Next, Carter Page is seeking $75 million in a lawsuit from the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice for wrongly surveilling him and for making him the fall guy in their plot to destroy Donald Trump. Meanwhile, the U.S. Supreme Court agrees to take up the 2020 Census case, the one in which, the Trump administration sought NOT to count illegal aliens, something every other country on the face of the Earth would NEVER do. You do not count border jumpers as U.S. citizens.
- 2020 Saturday B: Rep. James Clyburn, D-SC, the man who singlehandedly delivered the black vote to (racist) “Pro-China Joe” Biden (via using Chi-Com money or so we allege) is now begging ‘president-elect’ Joe Biden to put some black folks in his Cabinet and not just white guys and Jews. What more proof do you need that former Vice President Joe Biden is a RACIST? He is considering making Cindy McCain the next ambassador to the United Kingdom. We don’t see any black folks, Joe! Talking about Mr. Biden, we now know that DARK MONEY- an issue Democrats are always wailing about- most likely helped push Biden across the finish line- we have been saying this all along. Elsewhere, the United States- working with Central American nations- has arrested at least 700 criminal MS-13 thugs. Finally, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is demanding Venezuela release six wrongly convicted Citgo executives from prison and send them back to the U.S.
- 2020 Saturday C: POWs languishing in Gitmo are hopeful that a Biden-Harris administration will free them from prison. Elsewhere, Pfizer is getting ready to ship its COVID-19 vaccines to the United States and commence distribution. Since we are talking about the Chi-Com virus, let’s look at the stats for today:
- 2020 Saturday E: Speaking of the Chi-Vi, let us present to you the numbers for the Xi Jinping Bat Flu- Pelosi Pox, communist China’s gift to the world and a boon for Democrats who want to exercise their fascist skills in locking down people’s lives like California’s hypocritical closet pansy Governor Gavin “The Smiler” Newsom: Here are the statistics for the planet as a whole: 62,094,127 confirmed cases, +593,035, 1,449,709, confirmed deaths, +9,203, and 37,750,055 confirmed recoveries, +474,550. Next, here are the stats for the United States, the intended target of the Chinese-engineered Wuhan Virus pandemic: 13,351,024 confirmed cases, UP 168,297 from yesterday’s reporting, 269,562 confirmed deaths, UP 1,239, and 6,528,128 confirmed recoveries, UP 62,077.
- 2020 Saturday F: Next, in the three states in which, the world-famous American Institute of Culinary Politics-the Elemental News of the Day employs chef-bloggers- California, Hawaii, and Washington- here are the stats, California first: 1,194,584 confirmed cases, 19,105 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Next here are the numbers for Hawaii: 17,796 confirmed cases, 238 confirmed deaths, and no mention of confirmed recoveries. Finally, here are the stats for leftist-Marxist-socialist hellhole of Washington: 165,230 confirmed cases, 2,828 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Let’s look at one other state: Mississippi- currently, they have 149,940 confirmed cases, 3,779 confirmed deaths, and no mention of confirmed recoveries- we guess it is what it is. Let’s look at Israel’s stats now that Mo is living there: 334,789 confirmed cases, 2,854 confirmed deaths, and 321,857 confirmed recoveries.
- 2020 Saturday G: Here are the winning numbers for tonight’s Super Lotto Draw #1611 with a $10 million jackpot: 04, 10, 27, 35, 58, and Mega 10. Out of a total of 85,088 winning tickets, the highest winners were 11 people who had four numbers plus the Mega for a prize of $1,311 apiece. Next, here are the numbers for the Powerball Draw #798 with a $216 million jackpot at stake: 08, 12, 18, 44, 51, and Power 18. Out of a total number of 72,211 winning tickets, one person had four numbers plus the Powerball for a prize of $39,226.
BEVERLY CARRICK ORIGINAL ARTWORK OF THE DAY:
This artwork is #0296 a 40” x 60” original oil painting by Beverly Carrick, which, she entitled, “Vista Grande.” It is among her more beautiful works and is available for sale. You can see much more of her work at her Website, found at beverlycarrick.com, or at the blog’s Facebook page. At her Website, you will see not only more original oil paintings but also lithographs, giclees, prints, miniatures, photographs, and even her award-winning instructional video entitled, “Painting the Southwest with Beverly Carrick.” Beverly has been painting for more than 60 years and known around the world for both the beauty and timelessness of her artworks. Hanging in private and public galleries and followed by many fans encircling the globe—her works instill awe because of her artistic brilliance and personal beauty. We urge you to go to her Website NOW and view her work. It is possible that you will find something you like and will want to buy it for yourself, a friend, a loved one, or a neighbor! You will not be disappointed so please: do yourself a favor and go there IMMEDIATELY! Thank you, the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day!
Beverly Carrick: The World’s Greatest Artist (1927-2012)
ALBUM OF THE DAY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM:
All right, folks, if a band is around long enough, eventually the record company says, “It’s time to collect the classic albums and put them in on exciting box set,” thus we find ourselves where we are with today’s release: “The Complete Atlantic Studio Albums 1977-1991.” The box contains “Foreigner,” “Double Vision,” “Head Games,” “4,” “Agent Provocateur,” “Inside Information,” and “Unusual Heat.” At a cost of $29.78, what the heck more can a novice or veteran fan alike ask for- it’s all here so if you want to spend a day reliving your glory days, this is the way in which, one can do it. Please, seek it out at your favorite haunt for the best in rock music and add it to your growing collection- you will be so glad you did.
The above icon is the “Trademark of Quality and Symbol of Integrity/Logo” of the Magnolia Hilltop Brewers and of What’s Cookin’ Productions. The AICP-END Blog copyrights this article © 11-28-2020, all rights reserved. Word Count: 1,958.
The American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day
The Stinkbug symbol on CDs, DVDs, and Books means “approved by the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day” as well as adjusted or edited by the photographic editor
Original Beverly Carrick Artworks, Beverly Carrick—World Famous Artist, John Lennon, Elton John, Jerry Edmonton, Steppenwolf, the Clash, Rob Harper, Nick Sheppard, Little River Band, Beeb Birtles, U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Samuel Nelson, U.S. Secretary of War Lindley Miller Garrison, U.S. Secretary of War Dwight F. Davis, U.S. Senator Michael Bennet, Foreigner, Pedro Muňoz,
TODAY IN HISTORY, SATURDAY NOVEMBER 28, 2020
PLEASE READ OUR MAIN BLOG POST, PUBLISHED AT 12:01 A.M.
Saturday, November 28, 2020:
[i] We are not sure when we will begin offering albums by the Little River Band as that could be another 5-10 years from now but one day, we most surely will because they are one of the world’s greatest bands. Seeing them live in the 1970s was a mind-altering experience. Absolutely amazing to be sure.
[ii] We look forward to doing the Clash but expect to do Supertramp first, then Pink Floyd, then Electric Light Orchestra/the Move, then Yes, and then perhaps the Clash. They are among the amazing British rock bands of the 1970s and deserve to be acknowledged as such.
[iii] See the preceding footnote.
[iv] We began promoting the music of both the Beatles and the band’s individual components on Friday, 04-November-2016 through Sunday, 11-June-2018. Besides the Beatles, we also promoted the music of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and George Harrison as well as the Traveling Wilburys. The “White Album” appeared on Thursday, 24-November-2016. Please seek out this massive offering by visiting the blog posts between those dates. You will be glad you did.
[v] We will be presenting Elton John’s music at some point.
[vi] We began offering albums by this veteran Canadian American rock band on Friday, 25-May-2012 until the final day of Sunday, 17-June-2012. We encourage everyone to check out the music of this group as they are still rocking to this day with original vocalist John Kay at the helm.
Please donate to the AICPENDBLOG.COM as we seek to build the best Website on the planet
We encourage everyone to donate to the American Institute of Culinary Politics-The Elemental News of the Day, a place where professional chefs and culinary workers voice their opinions and do so sans any fear. We hope you will join us in the effort to build the best Website the world has ever seen. Will you help?
WE WELCOME ALL OUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS TO THE NEW AICPENDBLOG.COM AT WORDPRESS.COM WHERE SCUM SUCH AS SUNDAR PICHAI CANNOT DRIVE A DAGGER INTO ONE’S NECK. PLEASE, SEND ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO VISIT US HERE AS THIS IS WHERE YOU GET THE UNVARNISHED TRUTH AND NOT THE ‘TRUTH’ COMMUNIST CHINA AND ITS LACKEYS WANT YOU TO HEAR