TODAY IN HISTORY
THE AICP-END BLOG
PO Box 20669
Bakersfield, CA 93390-0669
Business Phone: 661-374-1430
TODAY IN HISTORY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM @ WORDPRESS.COM
303. TODAY IN HISTORY—THURSDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2020:
U.S. Secretary of State Thomas F. Bayard; Nazi Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels; the Allman Brothers Band featuring Duane Allman, Fleetwood Mac featuring Peter Green, the Jackson Five featuring Randy Jackson, the Moody Blues featuring Denny Laine, and the Young Rascals featuring David Brigati:
- 439 Monday: Vandals under the command of Genseric occupy the North African city of Carthage.
- 1618 Friday: Sir Walter Raleigh, the English courtier, military adventurer, and poet, underwent beheading in London. His execution was the result of charges brought him against 15 years earlier for conspiracy against King James I.
- 1652 Saturday: Organizers proclaim the Massachusetts Bay Colony an independent commonwealth.
- 1682 Monday: William Penn lands at what is now Chester, Pennsylvania.
- 1787 Saturday: The opera, “Don Giovanni,” by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart had its world premiere in Prague.
- 1811 Monday: The first steam-powered vessel departs Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1828 Tuesday: In Wilmington, Delaware, the future 30th U.S. Secretary of State Thomas F. Bayard is born. He would serve under President Grover Cleveland from 03-07-1885 to 03-06-1899.
- 1863 Wednesday: The International Committee of the Red Cross forms.
- 1888 Sunday: Lord Salisbury grants Cecil Rhodes a charter for his company, British South African Company.
- 1889 Monday: Queen Victoria grants Cecil Rhodes the rights to ‘Rhodesia.’
- 1894 Sunday: The Hawaiian Republic holds its first general election.
- 1897 Thursday: In Bavaria, future Nazi Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels, is born on this date. He would die in Adolf Hitler’s bunker on May 01, 1945, as Soviet forces closed in on the underground facility.
- 1901 Tuesday: President William McKinley’s assassin, Leon Czolgosz, underwent electrocution.
- 1911 Sunday: Hungarian-born American newspaperman Joseph Pulitzer, 64, died in Charleston, S.C.
- 1923 Monday: Following the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire, Turkey became a republic on this date with Mustafa Kemal—later Kemal Ataturk—becoming its first president.
- 1929 Tuesday: Wall Street crashed on “Black Tuesday,” heralding the beginning of America’s Great Depression. Prices collapsed amid panic selling and thousands of investors around the world were wiped out financially.
- 1932 Saturday: France launches its great ocean liner, the “Normande.”
- 1940 Tuesday: Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson drew the first number—158—in America’s first peacetime military draft. Elsewhere, future fifth member of the Young Rascals[i]—David Brigati, brother of Eddie who added vocals to the group’s albums—is born on this date.
- 1942 Thursday: The Nazis murder 16,000 Jews at Pinsk in the Soviet Union during World War II. Meanwhile, Branch Rickey becomes the general manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Finally, on the seventh day of the Battle of El Alamein in North Africa, Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery commits more British troops to the assault on the Axis defenses. On the Eastern Front, German General Friedrich Paulus becomes concerned about his flanks and the bulges of Soviet troops clinging to bridgeheads north and south of the city where Italians, Hungarians, and Romanians guard his flanks. Supplies are tenuous into Stalingrad for both sides. German losses so far approached 8,000 dead and 31,000 wounded while the Soviets thus far had lost 80,000 killed, wounded, captured, or through desertions. Even Gen. Vasily Chuikov had seen his subordinates in charge of armor, artillery, and engineering desert their posts.[ii]
- 1944 Sunday: The Polish First Armored Division liberates Breda in the Netherlands. Elsewhere, Denny Laine, founding member of both the Moody Blues[iii] and Wings[iv] is born in Great Britain on this date.
- 1945 Monday: The first commercially made ballpoint pens went on sale for $12.50 each at Gimbel’s Department Store in New York City on this date.
- 1946 Tuesday: Founding member lead guitarist and vocalist with Fleetwood Mac[v], Peter Green, was born on this date. Green also wrote the iconic song, “Black Magic Woman,” the song made famous by Carlos Santana[vi].
- 1956 Monday: During the Suez Canal Crisis, Israel invaded Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula. Meanwhile, the “Huntley-Brinkley Report” premiered as NBC’s nightly newscast.
- 1957 Tuesday: Former MGM studio boss Louis B. Mayer died in Los Angeles at age 75.
- 1959 Thursday: General Mills became the first corporation to use closed-circuit television.
- 1960 Saturday: A chartered plane carrying the California Polytechnic State University football team crashed on takeoff from Toledo, Ohio, killing 22 of the 48 people onboard. Meanwhile, Cassius Clay fights his first professional fight beating Tunney Hunsaker in six rounds.
- 1961 Sunday: Future member of the Jackson Five[vii]– Randy Jackson (backing and lead vocals, keyboards, percussion 1975-1989 / 2001)- was born in Gary, Indiana, on this date.
- 1964 Thursday: The United Republic of Tanganyika and Zanzibar is renamed Tanzania. Elsewhere, thieves made off with the Star of India and other gems from the Museum of Natural History in New York. Law enforcement eventually recovered the Star as well as other gems; three men were late convicted of stealing them.
- 1966 Saturday: The National Organization of Women underwent founding during a conference in Washington, D.C.
- 1967 Sunday: Expo 67 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, closed after six months.
- 1969 Wednesday: The U.S. Supreme Court ordered an immediate end to all school segregation.
- 1971 Friday: Famed slide guitarist Duane Allman—who played with the Allman Brothers Band[viii] and with Derek and the Dominos[ix] (featuring Eric Clapton)—died in a motorcycle crash on this date.
- 1973 Monday: O.J. Simpson of the Buffalo Bills set TWO NFL records on this date. He carried the ball 39 times and rushed for 157 years, which put him over 1,000 years at the seventh game of the season.
- 1974 Tuesday: Republican President Gerald R. Ford signed a new U.S. law, which banned discrimination over sex or marital status in credit applications.
- 1979 Monday: On the 50th anniversary of the Great Stock Market Crash, anti-nuclear protestors tried but failed to shut down the New York Stock Exchange.
- 1982 Friday: Automaker John DeLorean undergoes indictment for drug trafficking.
- 1985 Tuesday: Liberia announced that Major General Samuel K. Doe won the first multi-party election in the history of the nation.
- 1987 Thursday: Thomas “Hit Man” Hearns wins his unprecedented fourth different weight boxing championship. Elsewhere, following the confirmation defeat of Robert H. Bork to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court, President Ronald Reagan announced his choice of Douglas H. Ginsburg, a nomination that fell apart over revelations of Ginsburg’s previous marijuana use.
- 1990 Monday: The U.N. Security Council voted to hold the regime of Iraqi thug President Saddam Hussein liable for human rights abuses and war damaged during its occupation of Kuwait.
- 1991 Tuesday: The U.S. Galileo spacecraft became the first to visit an asteroid, Gaspra. Elsewhere, the United imposed trade sanctions on the military regime ruling Haiti to restore ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to power.
- 1992 Thursday: The Food and Drug Administration approved the contraception, Depo Provera on this date.
- 1995 Sunday: Jerry Rice of the San Francisco 49ers became the NFL’s career leader in receiving yards with 14,040 yards.
- 1998 Thursday: Senator John Glenn, at age 77, roared back into space aboard the shuttle Discovery, retracing the trail he blazed 36 years earlier for America’s astronauts. Elsewhere, South Africa’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission condemned both apartheid and violence committed by the African National Congress.
- 2001 Monday: KTLA broadcast the first coast-to-coast HDTV network telecast.
- 2004 Friday: Osama bin Laden, in a videotaped statement, directly admitted for the first time that he had ordered the September 11 attacks and told America, “the best way to avoid another Manhattan” was to stop threatening Muslims’ security.”
- 2009 Thursday: Oil giant Dutch Shell warns that its outlook remains uncertain after reporting its quarterly profit fell by 73-percent.
- 2012 Monday: Superstorm Sandy came ashore in New Jersey and slowly marched inland, devastating coastal communities and causing widespread power outages; authorities blame the storm and its aftermath for at least 182 deaths in the United States.
- 2013 Tuesday: A rail line connecting Europe with Asia—first proposed 150 years earlier by Ottoman Sultan Abdulmejid—undergoes completion. It is the deepest underwater railway tunnel in the world.
- 2014 Wednesday: Thanks to West African nations educating their citizens on how to bury their dead folks properly, Ebola cases begin slowing down with hospitals now only partly full of those afflicted.
- 2015 Thursday: Today’s the day for Congressman Paul Ryan- he’s elected to replace outgoing Speaker of the House John Boehner. Meanwhile, communist China announces an end to its one-child policy after 35 years. Guess they are building up their military. A nation like the People’s Republic of China requires massive amounts of cannon fodder to become dictator of the world.
- 2016 Saturday: In Oslo, Norway, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev says it would benefit the world if we could tone down the rhetoric meaning the Democratic Party in the United States won’t stop blaming Vladimir Putin and Russia for all the ills in the world but especially in the upcoming presidential election. In Game 4 of the World Series, the Cleveland Indians beat the Chicago Cubs by a score of 7-2, giving them a 3-to-1 series lead.
- 2017 Sunday: Federal law enforcement officers order former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort and his associate Rick Gates to surrender to the authorities in the ongoing attempt to dig up dirt on President Donald J. Trump. Meanwhile, U.S. Secretary of Defense Gen. James “Mad Dog” Mattis warns of a massive response should Kim Jong Un and North Korea attack the United States or our allies in the region. Seems like he is trying to gin up yet another endless war in the Third World. Elsewhere, in Game 5 of the 2017 World Series, the Houston Astros recover from being down four runs to the Los Angeles Dodgers and then beating them by a score of 13-12 in the bottom of the 10th inning to take a 3-2 series lead. Both starters—Clayton Kershaw and Dallas Keuchel—found themselves knocked out somewhat early in the game with the bull pens then battling one another to eke out an incredible win. Meanwhile, all but 10 members of the Houston Texans took a knee during the national anthem, being the worthless POS’s they are, reacting to a remark from team owner Bob McNair to other NFL owners that “we can’t have the inmates running the prison.” F**k them football players for being so flipping sensitive. Grow a frigging pair, already.
- 2018 Monday: Long-time leftist leader of Germany- Angela Merkel- announces she will not seek another term as chancellor of the European powerhouse in 2021 and that when her term is up, she will also step down as head of her party. Down in Brazil, Jair Bolsonaro, conservative politician, defeats his left-wing challenger Fernando Haddad in the presidential election.
- 2019 Tuesday: Climate Change alarmists are at it again: in a study published in “Nature Communications” by ‘Climate Central,’ ‘rising seas around the world could endanger more than 150 million people worldwide, three times higher than previously thought- when? A decade from now? A century? Or is this more bulls**t designed to strike terror into the hearts of young people across the globe? Speaking of REAL danger, California continues to burn down, causing PG&E to flip the switch on more than 1.5 million customers in the vain hope they can halt the various wildfires’ progress. Manage the forests and we would not be in the trouble in which, we find ourselves. In Game 6 of the 2019 World Series, the Washington Nationals beat the Houston Astros 7-2 in Houston.
- 2020 Thursday: Both President Donald J. Trump and former vice president “Pro-China Joe” Biden are in Florida today battling for votes. Famed political adviser Dick Morris says that ‘Democrats are doing everything possible to keep voters from going to the polls on Tuesday.’ Speaking of the polls, a judge in Michigan strikes down a ban of open carry of firearms at polling sites. In other news, the economy grew a record 33 percent in the 3rd Quarter which House Speaker Nancy “Mumbles” Pelosi dismisses as ‘nothing.’ Even worse, she tells the hoi polloi that ‘it’s because of government largesse,’ which she seems to be standing in the way of. White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow says the growth was ‘beyond expectations.’ Finally, famed golfer Jack Nicklaus endorses President Trump because he’s ‘kept his promises.’
- 2020 Thursday A: Department of Homeland Security officials warn that ‘IF Joe Biden wins on Election Day, there will be a massive invasion across the southern border.’ Speaking of border issues, Twitter (break these SOBS up) suspends the account of the U.S. border chief Mark Morgan for celebrating the success of the wall between the United States and Mexico for bringing the numbers of illegals attempting to sneak across the border to almost nil. Time to break Twitter up. Meanwhile, the U.S. Supreme Court allows extensions for the arrival of ballots in Pennsylvania and North Carolina. In the same vein, the Girl Scouts of America delete a tweet celebrating the successful nomination and placement onto the U.S. Supreme Court of Amy Coney Barrett because of leftist backlash. Finally, Dr. Tony Fauci and Goldman Sachs demand a national mask mandate as a means of stopping the Chi-Com Virus.
- 2020 Thursday B: In France, the so-called ‘religion of peace’- Islam- strikes again as an Islamist thug murders three women- including the beheading of one- at the Basilica of Notre Dame in Nice- whereas another one attempting to cause mayhem gets shot by the cops. Elsewhere on the foreign affairs front, the White House moves ahead with the sale of 50 F-35 jets to the United Arab Emirates.
- 2020 Thursday C: Glenn Greenwald, co-founder of the Intercept, posts his resignation letter on Twitter today. Since the Intercept has joined in the crowd that is doing everything possible to censor any stories connected to Hunter Biden’s laptop or to his dad’s crooked dealings in Chi-Com land, the Ukraine, and wherever else President Barack Obama had sent him, he felt he could no longer work there. What a shame. Go to Newsmax. Speaking of the Biden Family story, Ronna McDaniel, chairperson of the Republican National Committee, says ‘censorship of this story is a step closer to socialism.’ We can attest to that because some unseen entity out there has slashed our numbers to almost ZERO. Elsewhere, UBS poll shows investors favor President Donald J. Trump over “Pro-China Joe” Biden by 52-48 percent. No kidding! Meanwhile, we learn that the little closet pink cupcake Jack Dorsey of Twitter has censored President Donald J. Trump 65 times (at least) and “Pro-China Joe” Biden ZERO times. Again, it’s time to break up Twitter, Google/Alphabet, and Facebook. Deport Sundar Pichai and his family back to Bangladesh.
- 2020 Thursday D: Folks, here are the numbers for the Xi Jinping Yellow Fever, Chi-Com Virus, the Wuhan Horseshoe Bat Flu- Pelosi Pox: Here are the statistics for the planet as a whole: 44,708,172 confirmed cases, +396,498, 1,177,077, confirmed deaths, +5,791, and 30,130,418 confirmed recoveries, +240,476. Next, here are the stats for the United States, the intended target of the Chinese-engineered Wuhan Virus pandemic: 9,026,274 confirmed cases, UP 87,139 from yesterday’s reporting, 232,008 confirmed deaths, UP 1,151, and 5,512,841 confirmed recoveries, UP 30,204. Here are the stats for Israel now that Mo is living there: 313,114 confirmed cases, 2,508 confirmed deaths, and 299,439 confirmed recoveries.
- 2020 Thursday E: Next, in the three states in which, the world-famous, anti-communist American Institute of Culinary Politics-the Elemental News of the Day employs chef-bloggers- California, Hawaii, and Washington- here are the stats, California first: 924,336 confirmed cases, 17,554 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Next here are the numbers for Hawaii: 14,975 confirmed cases, 215 confirmed deaths, and 11,605 confirmed recoveries. Finally, here are the stats for leftist-Marxist-socialist hellhole of Washington: 110,193 confirmed cases, 2,458 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Let’s look at one other state: Maryland- currently, they have 143,875 confirmed cases, 4,127 confirmed deaths, and 8,144 confirmed recoveries- thank you, Governor Larry Hogan for your honesty.
- 2020 Thursday F: We had a up-and-down day in the markets today. Here are the stats for today’s Stock Market closes: first the DOW Jones Industrial Average, 26,659.11, UP 139.16 points (+0.52%). Next, here are the stats for the NASDAQ: 11,185.59, UP 180.72 points (+1.64%). Finally, here are the numbers for the S&P 500: 3,310.11, UP 39.08 points (+1.19%). Price of GOLD: $1,866.20 per troy oz., -1.80 (-0.10%) Here is the price of SILVER: $23.30 per troy oz., -0.006 (-0.26%). Price of PLATINUM: $850.30 per troy oz., +0.80 (+0.09%). Price of PALLADIUM: $2,198.50 per troy oz., -52.10 (-2.31%). Here is the price of COPPER: $3.06 per #, +0.002 (+0.07%). Price of Light Sweet Crude Oil per barrel: $36.01, -0.16 (-0.44%). Today, one-dollar U.S. = 6.71 PRC yuan whereas one U.S. greenback = 0.86 euros. Conversely, one-dollar U.S. = 28.35 Taiwanese dollars.
- 2020 Thursday G: Breaking News- Greg Kelly on Newsmax reports that the U.S. Department of Justice has been investigating Hunter Biden since December 2019. One of the things being investigating are possible money-laundering charges. One might think word of this would have arisen while the House was running the impeachment sham against President Donald J. Trump. Shame.
- 2020 Thursday H: Tonight’s Thursday Night Football Game (1) Atlanta Falcons, 25 (2-6) @ Carolina Panthers, 17 (3-5).
- 2020 Thursday I: In other news, the Trump administration reverses an Obama era policy that prevented Americans born in Jerusalem from listing either the city or the nation of Israel on their passports. The John Roberts Supreme Court helped Obama accomplish this by saying its standing interfered with the president’s right to set foreign policy. What? Screw Obama, the man was an anti-Semite as are many Democrats. Elsewhere, although historically still high, new jobless claims dropped to 751,000, the lowest since March. Numbers are down by 40,000 across 30 states with California, Florida, and Texas showing the biggest gains in the era of COVID-19. Sadly, IHOP says it’s going to close 100 restaurants across the country thanks to the ongoing Chi-Vi pandemic.
- 2020 Thursday J: Friends, we invite everyone to stick around to discover whatever the Chi-Coms, their Democratic Party gofers and their Fake News allies are up to today- you will want to know, believe us.
BEVERLY CARRICK ORIGINAL ARTWORK OF THE DAY:
This artwork is #0266 an 8” x 10” original oil painting by Beverly Carrick, which, she entitled, “A Mountain Lake.” It is among her more beautiful works and is available for sale. You can see much more of her work at her Website, found at beverlycarrick.com, or at the blog’s Facebook page. At her Website, you will see not only more original oil paintings but also lithographs, giclees, prints, miniatures, photographs, and even her award-winning instructional video entitled, “Painting the Southwest with Beverly Carrick.” Beverly has been painting for more than 60 years and known around the world for both the beauty and timelessness of her artworks. Hanging in private and public galleries and followed by many fans encircling the globe—her works instill awe because of her artistic brilliance and personal beauty. We urge you to go to her Website NOW and view her work. It is possible that you will find something you like and will want to buy it for yourself, a friend, a loved one, or a neighbor! You will not be disappointed so please: do yourself a favor and go there IMMEDIATELY! Thank you, the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day!
Beverly Carrick: The World’s Greatest Artist (1927-2012)
ALBUM OF THE DAY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM:
Electric Light Orchestra released their next ‘best of’ compilation, “Original Album Series 1” on August 10, 2015. This one contains a number of immortal albums from earlier in the group’s career on several discs plus some other musical treats. We do hope you will seek this one out and consider adding it to your collection along with many of the other compilation albums from the group we have shared with all of you. You’ll love it.
The above icon is the “Trademark of Quality and Symbol of Integrity/Logo” of the Magnolia Hilltop Brewers and of What’s Cookin’ Productions. The AICP-END Blog copyrights this article © 10-29-2020, all rights reserved. Word Count: 1,979.
The American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day
The Stinkbug symbol on CDs, DVDs, and Books means “approved by the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day” as well as adjusted or edited by the photographic editor
Original Beverly Carrick Artworks, Beverly Carrick—World Famous Artist, Fleetwood Mac, Peter Green, Denny Laine, The Moody Blues, Wings, Carlos Santana, Duane Allman, The Allman Brothers Band, Derek and the Dominos, Eric Clapton, The Young Rascals, David Brigati, Eddie Brigati, the Jackson Five, Randy Jackson, Nazi Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels, U.S. Secretary of State Thomas F. Bayard, Battle of El Alamein, Stalingrad, Electric Light Orchestra,
TODAY IN HISTORY, THURSDAY OCTOBER 29, 2020
PLEASE READ OUR MAIN BLOG POST, PUBLISHED AT 12:01 A.M.
Thursday, October 29, 2020:
[i] We began promoting the music of this legendary American rock band- the Young Rascals- beginning on Sunday, 08-December-2013 through Saturday, 21-December-2013. This band is one everyone who loves rock music must look into and enjoy.
[ii] See Time-Life Books, “Russia Resurgent,” by John Shaw, pages 151-152.
[iii] We promoted the music of the Moody Blues and of the band’s members beginning on Monday, 23-October-2017 through Sunday, 11-February-2018. We definitely hope you will check them out and consider adding them to your collection.
[iv] We began promoting the music of both the Beatles and the band’s individual components on Friday, 04-November-2016 through Sunday, 11-June-2018. Besides the Beatles, we also promoted the music of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Wings, Ringo Starr, and George Harrison as well as the Traveling Wilburys.
[v] We first began offering the music of Fleetwood Mac on Monday, 03-January-2011 through Thursday, 27-January-2011. On Tuesday, 18-January-2011, we promoted the album, “Rumours.” Please seek their music out by checking posts on those corresponding dates. We thank you.
[vi] We began promoting the music of Santana on Tuesday, 28-August-2012 through Tuesday, 23-October-2012. We hope you will seek the music of this famed man and his band out wherever you can find them.
[vii] We expect to present the music of the Jackson Five and Michael Jackson sometime in 2025-2026 so please stay tuned for future developments
[viii] When we promote the music of the Allman Brothers Band, we will also promote the music of Gov’t Mule. Stay tuned.
[ix] We began offering music by the supergroup Cream on Friday, 17-January-2014 through Monday, 03-February-2014. Please seek out their albums by visiting posts on those corresponding dates. You will be glad you did. Sadly, at the time, we also should have presented the solo catalogs of Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker. When we do, Derek and the Dominoes will be among them. We hope to do so at some point within the next decade or so.
Please donate to the AICPENDBLOG.COM as we seek to build the best Website on the planet
We encourage everyone to donate to the American Institute of Culinary Politics-The Elemental News of the Day, a place where professional chefs and culinary workers voice their opinions and do so sans any fear. We hope you will join us in the effort to build the best Website the world has ever seen. Will you help?
WE WELCOME ALL OUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS TO THE NEW AICPENDBLOG.COM AT WORDPRESS.COM WHERE SCUM SUCH AS SUNDAR PICHAI CANNOT DRIVE A DAGGER INTO ONE’S NECK. PLEASE, SEND ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO VISIT US HERE AS THIS IS WHERE YOU GET THE UNVARNISHED TRUTH AND NOT THE ‘TRUTH’ COMMUNIST CHINA AND ITS LACKEYS WANT YOU TO HEAR