TODAY IN HISTORY
The AICP-END Blog
PO Box 20669
Bakersfield, CA 93390-0669
Business Phone: 661-374-1430
TODAY IN HISTORY
291. TODAY IN HISTORY—SATURDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2020:
Navratri (Hindu Holiday) and Sweetest Day
Vice President Richard M. Johnson; U.S. Secretary of State Robert Lansing; U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich; the Doobie Brothers featuring Michael Hossack, the Four Tops featuring Levi Stubbs, “Hair,” the Plastic Ono Band, and Ziggy Marley:
- 532 Sunday: Boniface II ends his reign as Catholic Pope.
- 1469 Wednesday: Crown Prince Fernando of Aragon marries Isabella of Castile.
- 1492 Thursday: Columbus sights the island of San Salvador (Watling Island) of the Bahamas.
- 1610 Thursday: French King Louis XIII, aged 9, received the crown at Reims, France, five months after the assassination of his father, Henry IV.
- 1740 Saturday: Ivan VI becomes Czar of Russia.
- 1777 Wednesday: British forces under General John Burgoyne surrendered to American forces in Saratoga, New York, in a turning point of the Revolutionary War.
- 1780 Sunday: Future Democrat vice president, #9, 1837-1841, Richard M. Johnson, is born on this date.
- 1781 Monday: British troops under the command of Lord Cornwallis surrender to the Americans at Yorktown.
- 1807 Friday: Britain declared that it would continue to reclaim British-born sailors from American ships and ports regardless of whether they held U.S. citizenship.
- 1815 Monday: Napoleon Bonaparte arrives at his place of exile, the island of St. Helena.
- 1846 Friday: The 19th U.S. Attorney General Nathan Clifford assumed office on this date. A Democrat, he served under President James K. Polk from 10-17-1846 to 03-17-1848.
- 1862 Thursday: The 37th U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice David Davis assumes his position on the high court today. A Whig, President Abraham Lincoln nominated Davis to fill John Campbell’s seat and he served from 10-17-1862 to 03-03-1883 then became a U.S. senator.
- 1864 Sunday: Future 42nd U.S. Secretary of State Robert Lansing is born in Watertown, NY. President Woodrow Wilson would choose his fellow Democrat to serve in his administration and Lansing did so from 06-24-1915 to 02-13-1920.
- 1888 Tuesday: The first issue of “National Geographic” hit the newsstands of the nation.
- 1907 Thursday: Guglielmo Marconi began offering limited commercial wireless telegraph service between Nova Scotia and Ireland.
- 1912 Thursday: Pope John Paul I was born Albino Luciani at Forno di Canale, Italy. Meanwhile, Serbia, Greece, and Bulgaria declare war on Turkey.
- 1918 Thursday: Yugoslavia declares itself a republic.
- 1920 Sunday: The Chicago Bears (as the Decatur Staleys) play their third NFL game at the Rock Island Independents and win 7-0.
- 1931 Saturday: Mobster Al Capone suffered conviction for income tax evasion and a sentence of eleven years in prison; he left prison in 1939.
- 1933 Tuesday: Albert Einstein arrived in the United States as a refugee from Nazi Germany. Elsewhere, “News-Week” appeared on newsstands of America for the first time.
- 1939 Tuesday: Frank Capra’s comedy-drama “Mr. Smith goes to Washington” starring James Stewart as an idealistic junior U.S. senator, premiered in movie theaters in Washington, D.C. on this date.
- 1941 Friday: A German torpedo damaged the U.S. destroyer Kearny by off the coast of Iceland; 11 people died.
- 1942 Saturday: German soldiers continue grinding forward against the ever-diminishing Soviet defenders, their numbers being slashed by continuous aerial bombardment, infantry, and armor assaults, seeking to capture the entire waterfront of the city as it stretches north and south along the Volga River. The Russian forces in the city are determined to cling to their positions so that the counterattack- when it comes- will devastate the Axis forces besieging the city. Russian commanding General Vasily Ivanovich Chuikov moves to safer headquarters and it is important to note that sludge ice was beginning to flow down the Volga River from the north which would soon clog the river before turning it to solid ice.
- 1945 Wednesday: Ava Gardner and Artie Shaw married on this date. Elsewhere, Colonel Juan Peron became the dictator of Argentina after staging a coup.
- 1946 Thursday: Future longtime drummer with the rock band, the Doobie Brothers[i]—Michael Hossack—is born in the USA on this date.
- 1961 Tuesday: In the Battle of Paris, French police kill 210 Algerian rebels who were protesting the curfew imposed on them thanks to the actions of their fellows fighting in Algeria for independence from the mother country.
- 1966 Monday: Twelve New York City firefighters died while battling a blaze in lower Manhattan. Meanwhile, the TV game show “The Hollywood Squares” premiered on NBC-TV on this date.
- 1967 Tuesday: The rock musical, “Hair,” premieres on Broadway. Meanwhile, Puyi, the last emperor of China died in Beijing at age 61.
- 1968 Thursday: Ziggy Marley[ii], oldest son of Rita and Bob Marley, was born in Trenchtown, Jamaica.
- 1969 Friday: “Cold Turkey” by the Plastic Ono Band[iii] hits record store shelves in the United Kingdom on this date.
- 1970 Saturday: Anwar Sadat takes the oath of office as the next president of Egypt.
- 1971 Sunday: In the 68th World Series, the Pittsburgh Pirates beat the Baltimore Orioles, 4 games to three. Elsewhere, future Democratic U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich is born in Fallon, Nevada, on this date. Representing New Mexico, he would enter the U.S. Senate on January 03, 2013.
- 1973 Wednesday: Arab oil-producing nations announced they would begin a cutback of oil exports to Western nations and Japan; the result was a total embargo that lasted until March 1974. The incident stemmed from Western support of Israel when Egypt and Syria attacked the nation on October 06, 1973.
- 1974 Thursday: In the 71st World Series, the Oakland Athletics beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 4 games to one. This win makes the A’s the only other team besides the New York Yankees to win three World Series in a row. Meanwhile, the NBA’s New Orleans Jazz begins a 28-game road-losing streak.
- 1975 Friday: The United Nations passes a resolution that equates ‘Zionism with racism.’ Oh, you must love the fricking UN! This is what occurs when the Third World displaces European leadership.
- 1977 Monday: West German commandoes storm a hijacked Lufthansa airliner in Mogadishu, Somalia, freeing all 86 of the passengers and killing 3 of the 4 hijackers aboard it.
- 1978 Tuesday: President Jimmy Carter signs a bill that restores the citizenship of former Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Meanwhile, in the 75th World Series the New York Yankees beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 4 games to two.
- 1979 Wednesday: President Jimmy Carter signs legislation that establishes the U.S. Department of Education. Meanwhile, in the 76th World Series, the Pittsburgh Pirates beat the Baltimore Orioles, 4 games to three. Finally, Mother Teresa of India won the Nobel Peace Prize Award for the year.
- 1986 Friday: The U.S. Senate approves a bill that outlaws the hiring of illegal aliens and offered amnesty to illegals that entered before 1982.
- 1987 Saturday: First Lady Nancy Reagan underwent a modified radical mastectomy at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland.
- 1989 Tuesday: An earthquake measuring 7.1 on the Richter scale struck northern California, killing 63 people, and causing $6 billion worth of damage.
- 1992 Saturday: The Toronto Blue Jays become the first non-U.S. team to play in the World Series but lose 3 games to 1 to the Atlanta Braves.
- 1994 Monday: Israel and Jordan initialed a draft peace treaty. Meanwhile, the Angolan government and rebels agreed to a peace treaty that ended 19 years of civil war.
- 1997 Friday: Cuban authorities laid the remains of revolutionary Ernesto “Che” Guevara in his adopted country of Cuba’s national cemetery 30 years after Bolivian authorities executed the scumbag in their nation.
- 2000 Tuesday: Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum opened to the public in New York. The location joined Tussaud’s other exhibitions already in London, Hong Kong, Amsterdam, and Las Vegas.
- 2004 Sunday: The Iraqi militant group of terror mastermind Abu Musab al-Zarqawi declared its allegiance to Osama bin Laden.
- 2008 Friday: Lifelong member of the Motown super-group, the Four Tops[iv]– Levi Stubbs (vocals)- lost his battle with cancer on this date in Detroit, Michigan. Meanwhile, Wall Street ended a tumultuous week that turned out to be its best in five years. The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 127 points, closing at 8,852.22, but turned in the strong week because of two huge days of gains; a record 936-point jump the previous Monday and an increase of 401 points on Thursday.
- 2010 Sunday: In Potsdam, Germany, Chancellor Angela Merkel claims that ‘multiculturalism in Germany has failed.’
- 2012 Wednesday: Amidst controversy over the anti-doping scandal, Lance Armstrong resigns as chair of LIVESTRONG, his anti-cancer charity.
- 2013 Thursday: The UN Security Council elects Lithuania, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Chad, and Chile to a two-year term beginning January 1, 2014.
- 2014 Friday: U.S. President Barack Obama appointed lawyer Ron Klain as Ebola Response Coordinator to organize government response to Ebola cases; though not medically trained; the president selected Klain for his managerial and problem-solving experience.
- 2015 Saturday: Former Republican candidate seeking the 2016 nomination for his party, Jeb Bush, says that ‘Donald J. Trump is not taking his candidacy seriously.’ Thanks, Jeb, for your criticisms. Meanwhile, U.S. Secretary of State John F. Kerry says he is going to visit Israel and the Palestinians to see if he can get things to settle down a bit.
- 2016 Monday: A United Nations summit on urbanism gives rise to both hope and criticism as the world’s top powers seek ways by which, they can remake the planet into the one they so want to force upon us. The Third United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development kicks off today. Whoo-oo!
- 2017 Tuesday: Thug financier George Soros announces he is donating $18 billion to the Open Society Foundations. This money goes into all manner of corrupt and illegal activities on the left side of the aisle or so we allege.
- 2018 Wednesday: Residents of the Florida Panhandle community of Mexico Beach who had fled Hurricane Michael a week earlier returned home to find homes, businesses, and campers ripped to shreds; the storm had killed at least 59 people and caused more than $25 billion in damage in Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia. Meanwhile, Canada became the world’s largest legal marijuana marketplace; customers stood in long lines for hours and then lit up and celebrated on sidewalks.
- 2019 Thursday: Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney confirmed that the United States blocked nearly $400 million in foreign aid to the Ukraine because of corruption. Mulvaney said, “Quid pro quos happen all the time,” which they do. This is how foreign diplomacy works, in order for foreign nations to obtain financial and other aid, they have to do something in order to obtain it, which drives the liberal Democrats bonkers. They want to give money away without seeking something in return. Look at how they have allowed NATO to get away without paying its bills until Donald J. Trump became the 45th president.
- 2020 Saturday: The U.S. Senate announces it will hold the confirmation vote for Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court for the full Senate on October 23. Meanwhile, President Donald J. Trump suggests that ‘should he lose on November 3, he might leave the country.’ Speaking of the election, fund-raising stats are available today for the month of September: Biden-Harris (or Harris-Biden, whichever you prefer) brought in $383 million while Trump-Pence brought in $248 million. Regarding Judge Barrett, women’s marches in which, female (and tranny) liberals march around wearing pink P-U-S-S-Y hats protest her nomination while pro-Barrett marchers hold their own rallies, most notably in Washington, D.C. Finally, President Donald J. Trump approves major disaster relief for California, after FEMA denied it, because, once again, much of the state is burning down. Governor Gavin Newsom, Democrat, begged for the relief and in a phone call with the president, the president found a way to deliver him the much-needed aid. When this current fire season ends, clear-cut the forests, and stop allowing fresh water to flow out to sea, you Democrat imbecile!
- 2020 Saturday A: Due to rising numbers of Chi-Vi stats across Europe, many European locales are reimposing draconian measures to thwart the Chi-Com gift to the world, the Kung Flu. Elsewhere, the Azerbaijanis blast Armenia for having fired Soviet-era SCUD missiles into its second largest city, knocking down 20 residential buildings, killing 13, and wounding hundreds of others. They call it a ‘war crime.’ Meanwhile, citizens of Thailand take to the streets of Bangkok, demanding former military general and current Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha resign. The protesters are also unhappy with the king, someone whom if YOU are found guilty of criticizing can land you up to 15 years in prison.
- 2020 Saturday B: Following yesterday’s assassination of a Parisian schoolteacher for having said something negative towards the ‘prophet,’ ‘founding father of the so-called ‘religion of peace,’ Islam, police identify the slain suspect as an 18-year-old Chechen student. The scumbag sawed the head off the schoolteacher with a knife which led Parisian law enforcement to round up as many members of the family of this POS living on French soil. France: YOU have a massive problem with all these Muslims living on your soil, round them up, strip them of citizenship, and deport them.
- 2020 Saturday C: Folks, here are the numbers for the Xi Jinping Bat Flu- Pelosi Pox: Here are the statistics for the planet as a whole: 39,502,909 confirmed cases, +376,697, 1,106,795, confirmed deaths, +5,698, and 27,147,928 confirmed recoveries, 191,015. Next, here are the stats for the United States, the intended target of the Chinese-engineered Wuhan Virus pandemic: 8,194,266 confirmed cases, UP 84,455 from yesterday’s reporting, 222,404 confirmed deaths, UP 1,084, and 5,211,232 confirmed recoveries, UP 20,578. Next, in the three states in which, the world-famous American Institute of Culinary Politics-the Elemental News of the Day employs chef-bloggers- California, Hawaii, and Washington- here are the stats, California first: 874,505 confirmed cases, 16,933 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Next here are the numbers for Hawaii: 14,007 confirmed cases, 185 confirmed deaths, and 10,947 confirmed recoveries. Finally, here are the stats for leftist-Marxist-socialist hellhole of Washington: 101,540 confirmed cases, 2,338 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Let’s look at one other state: South Dakota- currently, they have 32,611 confirmed cases, 315 confirmed deaths, and no mention of confirmed recoveries- thank you, Governor Kristi Noem for behaving like your typical Democratic politician- thank you. Let’s look at Israel’s stats now that Mo is living there: 302,770 confirmed cases, 2,190 confirmed deaths, and 265,445 confirmed recoveries.
- 2020 Saturday D: Here are the numbers for the Super Lotto Draw #3500, the jackpot being $18 million, in California: 07, 19, 25, 29, 42, and Mega 01. (The highest winners were two people who had five numbers for a prize of $16,992 apiece). Here are the numbers for the Powerball Draw #786 with the jackpot of $82 million: 06, 10, 31, 37, 44, and Power 23. (Highest winners were 64 people who had four numbers for a prize of $213 apiece).
- 2020 Saturday E: Folks, as you know we remain vigilant until we uncover the latest outrages Democratic stooges and their Beijing masters have committed on the world today. Please stick around and find out with us…
BEVERLY CARRICK ORIGINAL ARTWORK OF THE DAY:
This artwork is #0254 a 36” x 48” original oil painting by Beverly Carrick, which, she entitled, “Mountain Cascade.” It is among her more beautiful works and is available for sale. You can see much more of her work at her Website, found at beverlycarrick.com, or at the blog’s Facebook page. At her Website, you will see not only more original oil paintings but also lithographs, giclees, prints, miniatures, photographs, and even her award-winning instructional video entitled, “Painting the Southwest with Beverly Carrick.” Beverly has been painting for more than 60 years and known around the world for both the beauty and timelessness of her artworks. Hanging in private and public galleries and followed by many fans encircling the globe—her works instill awe because of her artistic brilliance and personal beauty. We urge you to go to her Website NOW and view her work. It is possible that you will find something you like and will want to buy it for yourself, a friend, a loved one, or a neighbor! You will not be disappointed so please: do yourself a favor and go there IMMEDIATELY! Thank you, the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day!
Beverly Carrick: The World’s Greatest Artist (1927-2012)
ALBUM OF THE DAY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM:
Electric Light Orchestra released their fourteenth ‘best of’ compilation, “Greatest Hits Live,” on May 14, 2009. This one contains 10 classic tunes from earlier in the group’s career plus some alternate releases such as single mixes of some of the classics. We do hope you will seek this one out and consider adding it to your collection along with Tuesday’s “All Over the World” so you can have the best all in one place. You’ll love it.
The above icon is the “Trademark of Quality and Symbol of Integrity/Logo” of the Magnolia Hilltop Brewers and of What’s Cookin’ Productions. The AICP-END Blog copyrights this article © 10-17-2020, all rights reserved. Word Count: 1,868.
The American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day
The Stinkbug symbol on CDs, DVDs, and Books means “approved by the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day” as well as adjusted or edited by the photographic editor
Original Beverly Carrick Artworks, Beverly Carrick—World Famous Artist, The Doobie Brothers, Michael Hossack, The Plastic Ono Band, “Cold Turkey,” “Hair,” Ziggy Marley, Rita and Bob Marley, Vice President Richard M. Johnson, the Four Tops, Levi Stubbs, U.S. Secretary of State Robert Lansing, Stalingrad, U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice David Davis, U.S. Attorney General Nathan Clifford, Electric Light Orchestra,
TODAY IN HISTORY, SATURDAY OCTOBER 17, 2020
PLEASE READ OUR MAIN BLOG POST, PUBLISHED AT 12:01 A.M.
Saturday, October 17, 2020:
[i] We hope to promote the music of the Doobie Brothers sometime before 2030. We hope you will remain vigilant. This would also include the music of Michael McDonald.
[ii] Not sure when we will promote the music of either Bob or his son, Ziggy, Marley but we hope to do so at some point within the next 10-15 years. When we do Ziggy, we will do the music of his father, Bob Marley, too.
[iii] We began promoting the music of both the Beatles and the band’s individual components on Friday, 04-November-2016 through Sunday, 11-June-2018. Besides the Beatles, we also promoted the music of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and George Harrison as well as the Traveling Wilburys and the Plastic Ono Band.
[iv] We definitely hope to present the music of ALL the classic Motown bands- including the famed Four Tops- sometime within the next decade. Please, stay tuned for further developments.
WE WELCOME ALL OUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS TO THE NEW AICPENDBLOG.COM AT WORDPRESS.COM WHERE SCUM SUCH AS SUNDAR PICHAI CANNOT DRIVE A DAGGER INTO ONE’S NECK. PLEASE, SEND ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO VISIT US HERE AS THIS IS WHERE YOU GET THE UNVARNISHED TRUTH AND NOT THE ‘TRUTH’ COMMUNIST CHINA AND ITS LACKEYS WANT YOU TO HEAR
Please donate to the AICPENDBLOG.COM as we seek to build the best Website on the planet
We encourage everyone to donate to the American Institute of Culinary Politics-The Elemental News of the Day, a place where professional chefs and culinary workers voice their opinions and do so sans any fear. We hope you will join us in the effort to build the best Website the world has ever seen. Will you help?