TODAY IN HISTORY
THE AICP-END BLOG
PO Box 20669
Bakersfield, CA 93390-0669
Business Phone: 661-374-1430
TODAY IN HISTORY @ THE AICPENDBLOG.COM @ WORDPRESS.COM
TODAY IN HISTORY—THURSDAY, OCTOBER 01, 2020:
President Jimmy Carter; U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist; the Buffalo Springfield featuring Bruce Palmer, Sly & the Family Stone featuring Jerry Martini, and Wishbone Ash featuring Martin Turner:
- 331 B.C.: Alexander the Great and his army survive the bloody Battle of Gaugamela and defeat the combined armies of Persian Emperor Darius III.
- 1569 Wednesday: England’s Queen Elizabeth imprisoned the Duke of York for trying to marry Mary the Queen of Scots.
- 1653 Tuesday: The Russian Parliament accepts the annexation of neighboring Ukraine.
- 1746 Saturday: Bonnie Prince Charlie flees to France from Scotland.
- 1800 Thursday: Spain ceded Louisiana back to its original owner, France; however, the United States would buy the territory, which essentially doubled the size of the new nation.
- 1851 Tuesday: First Hawaiian stamps issued.
- 1861 Monday: During the Civil War, the Confederate Navy captured the Union steamer, USS Fanny in North Carolina’s Pamlico Sound.
- 1863 Wednesday: Five Russian warships receive a welcome in New York City as they put into port.
- 1880 Thursday: In Menlo Park at the Edison Lamp Works, Thomas Edison commenced the manufacture of electric lamps.
- 1885 Wednesday: Special delivery mail service began in the United States on this date with the first routes being in West Virginia.
- 1890 Tuesday: The United States Congress passed the McKinley Tariff Act, which raised tariffs to a record level.
- 1895 Monday: In Constantinople, the Turks slaughtered all Romanians.
- 1896 Wednesday: The United States Postal Service established Rural Free Delivery on this date.
- 1898 Friday: The City of Kiev, Russia, expels ALL Jews.
- 1903 Thursday: The first World Series took place between the Boston Pilgrims and the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- 1908 Thursday: Henry Ford introduced his Model T automobile to the market. The purchase price of the car was a whopping $850.00.
- 1910 Saturday: A terrorist bombing and subsequent fire at the Los Angeles Times Building in L.A. kills 21 and wounds many more.
- 1918 Tuesday: During World War I, a force of British and Arab soldiers captured Damascus from the Ottoman Turks, an ally of Germany and of Austro-Hungary.
- 1920 Friday: Dutch law provides for an 8-hour workday.
- 1924 Wednesday: Future Democrat and 39th president of the United States—Jimmy Carter—is born in the USA on this date. He served from 1977-to-1981. On the same day in Milwaukee, WI, future U.S. Supreme Court overall 100th justice and the 16th Chief Justice William Rehnquist is born. President Richard M. Nixon nominated Rehnquist to fill the seat of John Marshall Harlan II and he served from 12-15-1971 to 09-26-1986. President Ronald Reagan nominated the Republican to fill the seat of Chief Justice Warren E. Burger. Rehnquist served in this position from 09-25-1986 to 09-03-2005.
- 1932 Saturday: Oswald Mosley forms the British Union of Fascists. Elsewhere in the U.S., Babe Ruth of the New York Yankees made his supposed called shot, hitting a home run against Chicago’s Charlie Root in the Fifth Inning of Game 3 of the World Series, won by the Yankees at Wrigley Field in Chicago by a final score of 7-5.
- 1933 Sunday: Babe Ruth made his final pitching appearance on today’s date. He pitched all 9 innings and sent a homer out of the ballpark in the 5th inning.
- 1934 Monday: Adolf Hitler expands German Army and Navy and reestablishes an Air Force, thereby violating the Treaty of Versailles.
- 1936 Thursday: Generalissimo Francisco Franco establishes the State of Spain.
- 1937 Friday: Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black delivered a radio address in which, he acknowledged being a FORMER member of the Ku Klux Klan, but said he had dropped out of the organization before becoming a U.S. Senator. By the way, Justice Black was a DEMOCRAT.
- 1938 Saturday: Germany annexes the Sudetenland, one-third of the nation of Czechoslovakia.
- 1939 Sunday: Winston Churchill described the Soviet Union as “a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma” during a radio address on the invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.
- 1940 Tuesday: The Pennsylvania Turnpike opened as the first toll superhighway in the United States.
- 1943 Friday: Nazis attack Dutch Jews before rounding them up for removal to occupied Poland. Elsewhere, Allied Forces capture Naples, Italy, during World War II. Elsewhere, future saxophonist with the San Francisco funk-rock-soul-blues band, Sly and the Family Stone[i]—Jerry Martini—is born on this date.
- 1946 Tuesday: The International War Crimes Tribunal in Nuremburg, Germany, sentenced 12 Nazi ex-officials to death while sentencing seven others to prison and acquitting three. Meanwhile, the first baseball play-off game for a league championship took place as the St. Louis Cardinals defeated the Brooklyn Dodgers, 4-2.
- 1947 Wednesday: Future bassist/vocalist with the British rock band, Wishbone Ash[ii] 1969-1980 / 1987-1991 / 1995-96—Martin Turner—is born in England on this date.
- 1949 Saturday: Republic of China (Taiwan) forms on the Island of Formosa while Mao Zedong proclaims the People’s Republic of China in Beijing. Elsewhere, a 42-day strike by the United Steelworkers of America began over the issue of retirement benefits.
- 1954 Friday: The British colony of Nigeria becomes an independent Federation.
- 1955 Saturday: The situation comedy, “The Honeymooners,” starring Jackie Gleason, Art Carney, Audrey Meadows, and Joyce Randolph, premiered on CBS-TV.
- 1957 Tuesday: The motto “In God We Trust” began appearing on U.S. paper currency.
- 1960 Saturday: South Korean troops cross the 38th parallel into North Korea.
- 1961 Sunday: Roger Maris of the New York Yankees hit his 61st homerun during a 162-game season compared to Babe Ruth’s 60 homers during a 154-game season; pitcher Tracy Stallard of the Boston Red Sox gave up the round-tripper; the Yankees won 1-0.
- 1962 Monday: Johnny Carson debuted as host of the “Tonight Show” beginning a nearly 30-year run.
- 1964 Thursday: The Free Speech Movement began at the University of California, Berkeley, as students spontaneously protested the arrest of Berkeley alumnus Jack Weinberg, who had refused to identify himself to the police when they asked him to do so.
- 1971 Friday: Walt Disney World opened in Orlando, Florida, on this date.
- 1972 Sunday: The book, “The Joy of Sex,” by Alex Comfort underwent first publication by Mitchell Beazley of London.
- 1974 Tuesday: The Watergate cover-up trial opens in Washington, D.C.
- 1975 Wednesday: In the 15th round of their heavyweight title fight, Muhammad Ali scores a TKO over Joe Frazier.
- 1979 Monday: After 75 years of occupation, the United States returns the Panama Canal Zone to Panama.
- 1980 Wednesday: Robert Redford became the first male to appear alone on the cover of Ladies’ Home Journal. He was the only male to achieve this ‘distinction’ in 97 years. Big frigging deal.
- 1982 Friday: EPCOT (Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow) Center opened in Florida. Walt Disney planned the concept. Meanwhile, SONY began selling the first commercial compact disc player, the CDP-101 in Japan.
- 1985 Tuesday: Israel launches air raid against PLO headquarters in Tunis with the result of 68 dead and many more wounded.
- 1987 Thursday: When an earthquake the magnitude of 5.9 hammered the Los Angeles area, eight people died.
- 1988 Saturday: Mikhail S. Gorbachev becomes the final president of the Soviet Union.
- 1992 Thursday: Ross Perot reenters presidential race. Meanwhile, the Strategic Arm Reduction Treaty underwent approval by the U.S. Senate.
- 1993 Friday: Lennox Lewis scores a TKO over Frank Bruno in seven rounds for the heavyweight boxing title of the world.
- 1994 Saturday: South African president, Nelson Mandela, visits the United States. Meanwhile, the National Hockey League team owners began a 103-day lockout of their players.
- 1995 Sunday: A federal court in New York convicted Sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman and nine other defendants of conspiring to attack the U.S. through bombings, kidnappings, and assassinations.
- 1996 Tuesday: A federal grand jury indicted Unabomber suspect Theodore Kaczynski in the 1994 mail bomb slaying of advertising executive Thomas Mosser. Kaczynski later was sentenced to four life terms plus 30 years. Elsewhere, the federal minimum wage rose 50 cents to four dollars, 75 cents an hour.
- 2004 Friday: Bruce Palmer—original bassist of the Buffalo Springfield[iii]—died from a heart attack on this date.
- 2011 Saturday: Heavy fighting continues outside Libyan city of Sirte; the world community fears a growing humanitarian crisis.
- 2012 Monday: Mohamed Yousef el-Magariaf, Chairman of Libya’s legislative authority, the General National Congress, says al-Qaeda elements who fought with rebels in Libya’s civil war number “up to 200” in Libya.
- 2013 Tuesday: The beginning of the end commences for the United States as Obamacare now becomes operational—WE NEED TO STOP THIS! WHERE ARE THE REPUBLICANS?
- 2014 Wednesday: Julia Pierson, the first female director of the U.S. Secret Service, resigns after an 18-month tenure during which several security breaches occurred, including the recent daytime intrusion of the White House by a man armed with a knife.
- 2015 Thursday: In Roseburg, Oregon, a gunman kills 8 students and a teacher at Umpqua Community College. Meanwhile in Guatemala, a massive mudslide thunders down a hillside near Guatemala City, burying 131 and leaving another 300 missing. What a horrible death.
- 2016 Saturday: In the post-debate poll, pollsters announce that Democratic Party presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton leads Donald J. Trump by five points. Meanwhile, in a hacked video clip, Hillary calls the supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders, DS-VT, ‘uninformed basement dwellers.’ Hell- they’re much worse than that.
- 2017 Sunday: A gunman opened fire from a room at the Mandalay Bay casino hotel in Las Vegas on a crowd of 22,000 country music fans at a concert below, leaving 58 people dead and more than 800 injured in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history; the gunman, 64-year-old POS Stephen Craig Paddock, killed himself before officers finally arrived outside his door.
- 2018 Monday: The United States announces the creation of a new trade deal, one that replaces the NAFTA mess, the USMCA- the U.S., Mexico, and Canada trade deal that will even things out between the three nations of North America which will benefit all parties involved. Meanwhile, U.S. health officials announce that during the 2017-2018 flu season, more than 80,000 Americans succumbed to the virus.
- 2019 Tuesday: The Chi-Coms celebrate 70 years of totalitarianism, authoritarianism, and communism with a big military parade through the nation’s capital. At least 15,000 Chi-Com soldiers participate in the big photo op. Meanwhile, Democratic-Socialist presidential candidate Senator Bernie Sanders is rushed to the hospital following a severe heart attack. Finally, a new law in Florida which allows school teachers to carry handguns in schools goes into effect.
- 2020 Thursday: An amazing scene occurred today in the White House Press Room as reporters- including John Roberts of Fox News Channel- attempted to get White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany to voice that “Donald Trump renounces white supremacism.” She provided numerous examples going back years in which Mr. Trump, both as private citizen and as president of the United States, blasted the notion. Reporters never will ask “Pro-China Joe” Biden to renounce Antifa and Black Lives Matter nor do they ask him to denounce his son, Hunter, actively colluding with communist China. At first we were confused but a source we have within the Biden campaign has alluded to the fact that internal polling shows black support for President Donald J. Trump is at an astounding 22-25 percent. This would explain the amped-up rudeness we are seeing on display. Adding to this story is the fact that Rush Limbaugh, during the second hour of his show today, has pointed out that the Proud Boys are a mixed group, both racially and ethnically, and that their international head- Enrique Tarrio- is a person of color. He’s a black Cuban. Yet, we know that “Pro-China Joe” Biden interacted with segregationists J. William Fulbright, Hermann Talmadge, Strom Thurmond, Robert C. Byrd, George C. Wallace, and numerous other white segregationists. His own pick for VP called him a ‘racist’ so what the heck?
- 2020 Thursday A: The Trump campaign slams the Presidential Debate Commission over it ‘moving the goalposts’ on behalf of “Pro-China Joe” Biden. Biden supports the moderator being able to cut the mic of Trump- is this a sign of confidence in the Biden-Harris campaign? We think now. Meanwhile, ransomware attacks- most likely from communist China and Russia- hammer Tyler Technology, a company that helps report election results in real time. Tyler says the attacks ‘cannot change votes’ but that they ‘can sow confusion.’ They are working to correct this situation. Meanwhile, in Los Angeles, California, what was first reported yesterday- that the authorities had arrested the POS shooter of the two sheriff’s deputies as they sat in their patrol car is a fact. Convicted felon, Deonte Murray, 36-years-old was already in custody for another offenses so they did not have to search far for this scumbag. Hoist him high and drop him! Elsewhere, the CDC extends its ‘NO SAIL’ order for all cruise ships until the end of October due to the Xi Jinping Bat Flu. Finally, President Trump signs a stopgap bill to keep the government funded.
- 2020 Thursday B: LEFT-WING, LIBERAL, FAKE NEWS MEDIA attack line on Trump today is “WE DEMAND YOU DENOUNCE WHITE SUPREMACY” in these words. Everyone in the administration must say this or else. Friends, it is clear the Democrats are losing black and Latino voters, Telemundo providing a BIG INSIGHT into this shift following Tuesday night’s debate in Cleveland, Ohio. A whopping 66-percent of viewers said Trump won compared to 33-percent who felt he lost. This is NOT good for Democrats. Let’s make them a modern-day incarnation of the Whigs. Meanwhile, the Cook Political Report says that the Trump campaign is winning the voter registration battle forcing the Biden campaign to begin going door to door in the search for voters. Speaking of the Biden campaign, WHY is the VP nominee hiding? Is it because she knows the truth that the Harris-Biden 2020 ticket is going to be one of the all-time greatest landslide losers? Still the latest poll from Rasmussen says Biden leads Trump 51% to 43%.
- 2020 Thursday C: U.S. Border and Customs officers bust 125 pounds of cocaine, worth at least one million in the U.S.- at a border crossing from Mexico into the United States. The cartels are going to whack somebody somewhere for this mix up…
- 2020 Thursday D: Folks, here are the numbers for the Xi Jinping Yellow Fever, Chi-Com Virus, the Wuhan Horseshoe Bat Flu- Pelosi Pox: Here are the statistics for the planet as a whole: 34,136,078 confirmed cases, +350,900, 1,016,970, confirmed deaths, +6,823, and 23,711,591 confirmed recoveries, +262,257. Next, here are the stats for the United States, the intended target of the Chinese-engineered Wuhan Virus pandemic: 7,361,455 confirmed cases, up 39,433 from yesterday’s reporting, 210,874 confirmed deaths, UP 751, and 3,930,203 confirmed recoveries, UP 9,283. Here are the stats for Israel now that Mo is living there: 253,490 confirmed cases, 1,622 confirmed deaths, and 179,468 confirmed recoveries.
- 2020 Thursday E: Next, in the three states in which, the world-famous American Institute of Culinary Politics-the Elemental News of the Day employs chef-bloggers- California, Hawaii, and Washington- here are the stats, California first: 822,469 confirmed cases, 15,928 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Next here are the numbers for Hawaii: 12,555 confirmed cases, 139 confirmed deaths, and 10,340 confirmed recoveries. Finally, here are the stats for leftist-Marxist-socialist hellhole of Washington: 91,603 confirmed cases, 2,222 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Let’s look at one other state: Georgia- currently, they have 319,334 confirmed cases, 7,063 confirmed deaths, but no mention confirmed recoveries- thank you, Governor Brian Kemp for being a Republican who is behaving like a Democrat and staying mum on the recoveries.
- 2020 Thursday F: We had a fairly big upswing on the markets today. Here are the stats for today’s Stock Market closes: first the DOW Jones Industrial Average, 27,816.90, UP 35.20 points (+0.13%). Next, here are the stats for the NASDAQ: 11,326.51, UP 159.00 points (+1.42%). Finally, here are the numbers for the S&P 500: 3,380.80, UP 17.80 points (+0.53%). Price of GOLD: $1,907.80 per troy oz., -8.50 (-0.44%) Here is the price of SILVER: $23.84 per troy oz., -0.409 (-1.69%). Price of PLATINUM: $902.80 per troy oz., -3.20 (-0.35%). Price of PALLADIUM: $2,328.20 per troy oz., -2.30 (-0.10%). Here is the price of COPPER: $2.87 per #, +0.002 (+0.07%). Price of Light Sweet Crude Oil per barrel: $38.36, -0.36 (-0.93%). Today, one-dollar U.S. = 6.79 PRC yuan whereas one U.S. greenback = 0.85 euros. Conversely, one-dollar U.S. = 28.88 Taiwanese dollars. Unemployment now stands at or around 8.4 percent (August). In April, it was a whopping 14.7-percent. Right now, approximately 13.5 million Americans are out of work, thanks to Xi Jinping’s Bat Flu. Jobless claims rose to nearly 850,000 first-time unemployed workers seeking benefits. Other than on Beijing, the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of House Speaker Nancy “Mumbles” Pelosi who will not come to a COVID-19 relief deal with the Trump White House. Vote her out on November 3 and send her packing.
- 2020 Thursday G: Late this evening, President Donald J. Trump announces that he and First Lady Melania are now COVID-19 positive. This follows on the news that Hope Hicks, an integral part of the White House team announced earlier in the day that she tested positive for the Chi-Vi.. This means Fox News commentator Chris Wallace now must rush to his doctor just as “Pro-China Joe” Biden will. Sounds like the 2020 campaign is sputtering to a halt. Thank you, Chi-Coms, thank you.
- Thursday Night Football: Denver Broncos, 37 (1-3) @ New York Jets, 28 (0-4)
- 2020 Thursday I: As you know, we try to anticipate the activities of the Chi-Coms and their Democratic Party flunkies here in the U.S. but we never know what they’re up to until we catch them in the act. Please stick around and find out.
BEVERLY CARRICK ORIGINAL ARTWORK OF THE DAY:
This artwork is #0238 a 12” x 16” original oil painting by Beverly Carrick, which, she entitled, “Tranquil Evening.” It is among her more beautiful works and is available for sale. You can see much more of her work at her Website, found at beverlycarrick.com, or at the blog’s Facebook page. At her Website, you will see not only more original oil paintings but also lithographs, giclees, prints, miniatures, photographs, and even her award-winning instructional video entitled, “Painting the Southwest with Beverly Carrick.” Beverly has been painting for more than 60 years and known around the world for both the beauty and timelessness of her artworks. Hanging in private and public galleries and followed by many fans encircling the globe—her works instill awe because of her artistic brilliance and personal beauty. We urge you to go to her Website NOW and view her work. It is possible that you will find something you like and will want to buy it for yourself, a friend, a loved one, or a neighbor! You will not be disappointed so please: do yourself a favor and go there IMMEDIATELY! Thank you, the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day!
Beverly Carrick: The World’s Greatest Artist (1927-2012)
ALBUM OF THE DAY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM:
On April 07, 1998, the Move released their next greatest hits package across the globe: “Movements: 30th Anniversary Box Set.” Much more popular in the UK than they ever were in the United States, the album contained 54 essential tracks from throughout the group’s rather short career. We hope you will check this one out and consider adding it to your collection because despite whatever you might have heard, this band was among the major acts upon which, future bands would lay their foundation. Please seek it out and enjoy- you will be glad you did.
The above icon is the “Trademark of Quality and Symbol of Integrity/Logo” of the Magnolia Hilltop Brewers and of What’s Cookin’ Productions. The AICP-END Blog copyrights this article © 10-01-2020, all rights reserved.
The American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day
The Stinkbug symbol on CDs, DVDs, and Books means “approved by the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day” as well as adjusted or edited by the photographic editor
Original Beverly Carrick Artworks, Beverly Carrick—World Famous Artist, President Jimmy Carter, Buffalo Springfield, Bruce Palmer, Sly and the Family Stone, Jerry Martini, Wishbone Ash, Martin Turner, U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist, Move- the, Lennox Lewis v. Frank Bruno,
TODAY IN HISTORY, THURSDAY OCTOBER 01, 2020
PLEASE READ OUR MAIN BLOG POST, PUBLISHED AT 12:01 A.M.
THURSDAY, October 01, 2020:
[i] We hope to present the music of Sly & the Family Stone within the next decade or so. Please stay tuned for further information.
[ii] We began celebrating the music of Wishbone Ash beginning on Sunday, October 28, 2018 and continued it through Sunday, January 06, 2019. From there, we covered the music of Martin Turner’s Wishbone Ash beginning on January 07, 2019 through Sunday, January 13, 2019. We hope you will seek them out and add them to your collection of the BEST rock-and-roll music. You will be glad you did.
[iii] We promoted the music of Buffalo Springfield beginning on Saturday, 17-November-2012 through Saturday, 24-November-2012. We hope you will seek this music out and consider adding it to your collection. You will be glad you did.
Please donate to the AICPENDBLOG.COM as we seek to build the best Website on the planet
We encourage everyone to donate to the American Institute of Culinary Politics-The Elemental News of the Day, a place where professional chefs and culinary workers voice their opinions and do so sans any fear. We hope you will join us in the effort to build the best Website the world has ever seen. Will you help?
WE WELCOME ALL OUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS TO THE NEW AICPENDBLOG.COM AT WORDPRESS.COM WHERE SCUM SUCH AS SUNDAR PICHAI CANNOT DRIVE A DAGGER INTO ONE’S NECK. PLEASE, SEND ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO VISIT US HERE AS THIS IS WHERE YOU GET THE UNVARNISHED TRUTH AND NOT THE ‘TRUTH’ COMMUNIST CHINA AND ITS LACKEYS WANT YOU TO HEAR