TODAY IN HISTORY
THE AICP-END BLOG
PO Box 20669
Bakersfield, CA 93390-0669
Business Phone: 661-374-14309
TODAY IN HISTORY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM @ WORDPRESS.COM
TODAY IN HISTORY—FRIDAY, AUGUST 14, 2020:
U.S. Secretary of War Peter Buell Porter; Reichsminister of Foreign Affairs Konstantin Von Neurath; Blue Öyster Cult featuring Allen Lanier, the Byrds featuring David Crosby, Chicago featuring Keith Howland, Crosby-Stills-Nash-and-Young featuring Stephen Stills, Sly and the Family Stone featuring Larry Graham, Jr., and the Steve Miller Band featuring Ben Sidran:
- 554: Ravenna becomes the seat of government for the Byzantine Empire in Italy.
- 1281: Kubla Khan’s invasion fleet of the Japanese Islands disappears in a typhoon.
- 1498: Christopher Columbus lands at the mouth of the Orinoco River in Venezuela.
- 1762: An English fleet occupies Havana, Cuba.
- 1773: In Salisbury, CT, future 12thS. Secretary of War Peter Buell Porter is born. A Democratic-Republican, then a National Republican, and then a Whig, served under President John Quincy Adams from 05-23-1828 to 03-09-1829.
- 1805: Aboard the USS Constitution, signatories sign a peace treaty between the U.S. and the Muslim overlords of Tunis.
- 1842: The Seminole War ends; the Native Americans are transported from Florida to west of the Mississippi River.
- 1848: The U.S. Congress created the Oregon Territory on this date.
- 1862: President Abraham Lincoln receives first group of blacks to confer with an American president at the White House.
- 1873: The magazine, “Field and Stream” begins publication.
- 1880: The Cologne Cathedral in Cologne, Germany, underwent completion after 632 years of construction.
- 1896: Prospectors discovered gold in Canada’s Yukon Territory. The discovery led to the influx of 30,000 people over the course of the year to pan for gold.
- 1888: Oliver B. Shallenberger received a patent for the electric meter.
- 1896: Prospectors discovered gold in Canada’s Yukon Territory. Within the next year, more than 30,000 people flooded the territory to search for gold.
- 1900: Two-thousand U.S. Marines and other European troops land near Beijing, China, to put an end to the Boxer Rebellion. The rebellion was a failed attempt by the Chinese to drive all foreigners out of their country.
- 1903: In the 10th round of their heavyweight championship title fight, James J. Jeffries knocks out “Gentleman” Jim Corbett.
- 1908: A race riot erupted in Springfield, Illinois, as a white mob began setting black-owned homes and businesses on fire; at least two blacks and five whites were killed in the violence.
- 1912: 2,500 U.S. Marines invade Nicaragua and remain there until 1925.
- 1917: China declares war on both Germany and Austro-Hungary during World War I.
- 1919: About 1 million tons of ice and rock broke off a glacier near Mont Blanc, France, killing nine people in the incident.
- 1935: President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act into law. The act created unemployment insurance and pension plans for the elderly.
- 1937: The government of China declares war on neighboring Japan who has invaded their country after running amok in Manchuria.
- 1941: President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill issued the Atlantic Charter, a statement of principles that renounced aggression. Meanwhile, the U.S. Congress appropriated $83 million to build the Pentagon.
- 1941: President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill issued the Atlantic Charter, a statement of principles that renounced aggression. It did nothing to prevent the United States from entering the war. Elsewhere, David Crosby of the Byrds[i] and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young[ii] fame was born on this date!
- 1943: Future keyboardist with the original Steve Miller Band[iii]—Ben Sidran—is born on this date.
- 1945: U.S. President Harry S. Truman announces V-J Day as the Empire of Japan surrenders unconditionally to end World War II.
- 1946: Future rock bassist with the soul-rock-funk-jazz band, Sly and the Family Stone[iv]—Larry Graham Jr.—is born on this date.
- 1947: Pakistan became independent of British rule.
- 1948: The Summer Olympics in London ended; it was the first Olympic Games held since 1936- the ones held in Nazi Germany.
- 1953: Someone invented the whiffle ball on this date.
- 1956: One of the few Nazi bigwigs to survive World War II- Reichsminister of Foreign Affairs Konstantin Von Neurath- died on this date.
- 1958: The Canadian Football League plays its first game: Winnipeg 29, Edmonton 21.
- 1959: Organizers held the first meeting to create the American Football League on this date.
- 1962: A U.S. Postal Service truck making its rounds in Plymouth, Massachusetts, is robbed of more than $1.5 million.
- 1964: Future rock guitarist with the band, Chicago[v] from 1996-present—Keith Howland—is born on this date.
- 1968: Jimmy Ellis beats Floyd Patterson in 15 rounds for the heavyweight boxing title of the world.
- 1969: British troops went to Northern Ireland to intervene in sectarian violence between Protestants and Catholics.
- 1970: Stephen Stills of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young[vi] undergo arrest for drug possession.
- 1973: U.S. bombing of Cambodia came to a halt, which denotes the official end to 12 years of combat in Indochina by the United States.
- 1980: At the Democratic National Convention in New York City, President Jimmy Carter and Vice President Walter Mondale were nominated for second terms. Elsewhere, workers went on strike at Lenin Shipyard in Gdansk, Poland, in a job action that resulted in creation of the Solidarity labor movement. Elsewhere, actress-model Dorothy Stratten, 20, was shot to death by her estranged husband and manager, Paul Snider, who then killed himself. Finally, founding members incorporated People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) on this date.
- 1986 Thursday: U.S. officials announced that a U.S. Drug Enforcement agent suffered abduction and that Mexican police interrogated and tortured him.
- 1987 Friday: Mark McGwire set the record for major league home runs by a rookie when he connected for his 49th home run of the season.
- 1992 Friday: The United States—for some strange reason—announced that it was going to begin emergency airlifts of food to Somalia. The government announced it was going to do this to stop the prospect of mass starvation, something that would lead to the deplorable “Black Hawk Down” situation under the command of President Bill Clinton. Even worse, it would open the doors to bring Somali ‘refugees’ like the little POS Ilhan Omar whom we would love to send back to her country of her origin.
- 1994 Sunday: French agents in the Sudan captured Ilich Ramirez Sanchez, the terrorist known as Carlos the Jackal.
- 1997 Thursday: A federal judge sentenced an unrepentant Timothy McVeigh to death for the Oklahoma City bombing.
- 2000 Monday: Two onboard torpedoes explode aboard the Russian submarine, the Kursk, which eventually kill all onboard it despite a rescue operation in the Barents Sea.
- 2003 Thursday: A huge blackout hit the northeastern United States and part of Canada; 50 million people lost power. Unexplained to this date, many think it was a hack from Vladimir Putin’s Russia, communist China, or North Korea, possibly Iran.
- 2008 Thursday: President George W. Bush signed consumer-safety legislation that banned lead from children’s toys, imposing the toughest standard in the world.
- 2013 Wednesday: South and North Korea agree to reopen the jointly operated Kaesong Industrial Region. Elsewhere, Allen Lanier—founding member of the Boston rock band, Blue Öyster Cult[vii] (1967-1985 / 1987-2007 / 2012)—died from the complications of COPD on this date.
- 2014 Thursday: Former Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki has agreed to stop challenging Haider al-Abadi as the new Prime Minister; President Fuad Masum selected al-Abadi for the position earlier this week.
- 2015 Friday: According to Brainy History, the Greek parliament approves a euro bailout package that contains conditions rejected by voters during an earlier referendum; failed confidence in Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras by his Syriza party may now oblige him to call new elections.
- 2016 Sunday: At the Rio De Janeiro Summer Olympics, Jamaica’s Usain Bolt- the famed sprinter- wins the Gold medal in the 100-meter sprint in 9.81- which makes him unique among his fellows as the first sprinter to win the medal in the event three times.
- 2017 Monday: Under pressure from right and left, President Donald J. Trump- once again– condemned white supremist groups by names, declaring them to be “repugnant to everything that we hold dear as Americans.” The CEO of Merck, the nation’s third-largest pharmaceutical company, resigned from a federal advisory council, citing Trump’s failure to explicitly condemn white nationalists who marched in Charlottesville, Va. Kenneth Frazier was one of the few African Americans (does it matter what flipping color a CEO is?) to head a Fortune 500 company. In addition to this prick abandoning the president under false pretenses and fake news, so, too, did the CEOs of Intel and Under Armor who also resigned from the American Manufacturing Council later in the day. What a bunch of fricking pussies.
- 2018 Tuesday: According to the United Nations, things have been so bad in the South American Marxist state of Venezuela that more than 2.3 million people have fled the crap-hole country. While it’s great that someone has reported this, when is the United Nations going to do what the victors of World War II created it to do, to topple failed nation states and liberate people? WTF! Elsewhere, in Genoa, Italy, the Morandi Bridge collapses which causes the deaths of at least 43 people as 30 or so cars traversing it plunge into the Polcevera Valley which includes a river, a railway terminal, and other physical landmarks. The disaster also causes 600 people to become homeless. At least when Benito Mussolini ran Italy, the trains ran on time and the bridges did not collapse- unless they were under a rain of Allied bombs. C’est la vie!
- 2019 Wednesday: In Stockholm, Sweden, American rapper ASAP Rocky receives a suspended sentence for being found guilty of assault on a Swedish citizen. Meanwhile, Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan blasts the government of India for having placed the Indian-controlled region of Kashmir under lockdown following violence caused by…you guessed it…Pakistani Muslims.
- 2020 Friday: California Assemblyman Rob Bonta, D-CA 18th Assembly District, proposes a NEW taxation law on the state’s ultra-wealthy that ‘will raise $7.5 billion for the state’s general fund, will drive the top tax rate from 13.% to 16.8%. Supposedly, it would affect only those with wealth over $30 million and if the wealthy leave the state and take their money with them, they will STILL have to pay taxes to California on their money for up to 10 years. Assemblyman Bonta swears it will affect only 30,400 California residents but once those people move out of the state before the law- if passed and takes effect- and take their money with them, who will the new taxation rate hit next? Vote this POS out of office in November. Meanwhile, former FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith who worked with James Comey and others in the coup to remove Donald Trump from office becomes the first member of the far-leftist cabal to plead guilty in federal court for having lied and for falsifying evidence. He altered emails saying Carter Page was NOT a CIA source when he WAS a CIA source every time he gave speeches in Russia. Let us hope Mr. Clinesmith becomes the first of many facing prison time. He’s another POS.
- 2020 Friday A: President Trump says he is prepared to cut stimulus checks to American families of up to $3,400 per family of four if ONLY the Democrats would come to the table and help him. Meanwhile, polling shows “Pro-China Joe” Biden and his VP nominee Kamala Harris leading the Trump-Pence team by 8 to 10 points depending upon where one looks. Speaking of “Pro-China (or Groping) Joe” Biden, he says ‘Trump has done nothing to staunch the spread of the Chinese Virus, that he would order U.S. industry to produce more PPE gear, and would require ALL Americans to wear masks for the next three months whether within or without their homes.
- 2020 Friday B: Here are today’s Chi-Com Virus Statistics for the globe: 21,036,943 confirmed cases, UP by 412,627 cases, 761,926 confirmed deaths, UP by 12,505 deaths, and 13,048,978 confirmed recoveries, UP by 217,174 recoveries. Here are the numbers for the United States: 5,353,608 confirmed cases, UP by 29,006 new cases, 169,634 confirmed deaths, UP by 704 new deaths, and 2,698,129 confirmed recoveries, UP by 18,435 new recoveries. (The number of recoveries would be even greater if Blue State governors would report them).
- 2020 Friday C: Next, in the three states in which, the world-famous American Institute of Culinary Politics-The Elemental News of the Day employs chef-authors, California, Hawaii, and Washington, here are the stats, Golden State first: 601,075 confirmed cases, UP 7,934 cases, 10,996 confirmed deaths, UP by 188, but as is the norm, NO mention of confirmed recoveries. Next, here are the stats for the Aloha State: 4,312 confirmed cases, UP by 0(according to yesterday) 40 confirmed deaths, UP by 0, and 1,716 confirmed recoveries, UP by 0- NO NEW NUMBERS. Finally, in the Ever-Red, uh, we mean, the Evergreen State, here are the stats: 65,339 confirmed cases, UP by 833, 1,653 confirmed deaths, UP by 29, but like California, the slope-headed governor, Jay Inslee, won’t share the number of confirmed recoveries. Shame on these flipping Democrats. THE NUMBERS REMAIN THE SAME FOR WASHINGTON, TOO, NO REPORTING OF NEW NUMBERS.
- 2020 Friday D: Here are the stats for today’s Stock Market closes: first the DOW Jones Industrial Average, 27,931.02, UP 34.30 points (+0.12%). Next, here are the stats for the NASDAQ: 11,019.30, DOWN 23.20 points (-0.21%). Finally, here are the numbers for the S&P 500: 3,372.85, DOWN 0.58 points (-0.017%). Price of GOLD: $1,953.70 per troy oz., +3.90 (+0.20%) Here is the price of SILVER: $26.54 per troy oz., +0.456 (+1.75%). Price of PLATINUM: $960.80 per troy oz., +1.70 (+0.18%). Here is the price of COPPER: $2.86 per #, +0.0045 (+0.16%). Price of Light Sweet Crude Oil per barrel: $42.23, +0.22 (+0.52%). Today, one dollar U.S. = 6.95 PRC yuan while one dollar U.S. = 0.84 euros.
- 2020 Friday E: The U.S. Department of Defense announces it is going to establish a task force to investigate the numerous UFO sightings that have been ongoing around the world. Although this has been done before- aka Project Blue Book with iffy answers- it seems much more important now as hundreds of millions of people around the world have seen unidentified aerial vehicles as well as unidentified submerged vehicles. It is extremely important that the American people and the world understand if we are in danger from these otherworldly vehicles. Go for it!
- 2020 Friday F: A federal appeals court rules that California’s restrictions on large-capacity magazines are unconstitutional which is amazing as all of us who own firearms never handed them over anyway and if anything went out and bought more of them so we would have them on hand when or if that drooling moron Beto O’Rourke comes calling for them. Watch out, boy! Elsewhere, Hezbollah thug leader Hassan Nasrallah suggests that Lebanon and ONLY Lebanon should investigate the massive blast that devastated Beirut on August 04 which is goofy as everyone believes the Hezbollah morons are the ones who blew the city’s port up when mountains of ammonium nitrate exploded, killing more than 180 people, vaporizing numerous others, and wounding nearly 4,000 people. If anything, the Lebanese people should string this murderous POS up as he is now trying to blame Israel for his and his followers’ stupidity. Meanwhile, Iran- another culprit in this mishap- says it will restore Beirut’s power free of charge. Allowing them to do it is akin to the chickens inviting the wolf into the hen house.
BEVERLY CARRICK ORIGINAL ARTWORK OF THE DAY:
This artwork is #0190 an 8” x 10” original oil painting by Beverly Carrick, which, she entitled, “Le Petit Sunset.” It is among her more beautiful works and is available for sale. You can see much more of her work at her Website, found at beverlycarrick.com, or at the blog’s Facebook page. At her Website, you will see not only more original oil paintings but also lithographs, giclees, prints, miniatures, photographs, and even her award-winning instructional video entitled, “Painting the Southwest with Beverly Carrick.” Beverly has been painting for more than 60 years and known around the world for both the beauty and timelessness of her artworks. Hanging in private and public galleries and followed by many fans encircling the globe—her works instill awe because of her artistic brilliance and personal beauty. We urge you to go to her Website NOW and view her work. It is possible that you will find something you like and will want to buy it for yourself, a friend, a loved one, or a neighbor! You will not be disappointed so please: do yourself a favor and go there IMMEDIATELY! Thank you, the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day!
Beverly Carrick: The World’s Greatest Artist (1927-2012)
ALBUM OF THE DAY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM:
Now a four-piece, the Move released a live album entitled “Live at the Fillmore” on December 11, 1969. The band featured Carl Wayne (vocals/guitars), Roy Wood (guitars/vocals), Trevor Burton (bass/vocals), and Bev Bevan (drums/percussion/vocals). The band was undergoing lineup changes, having lost Ace Kefford earlier due to a mental breakdown and following the next effort, Trevor Burton would leave, too. The stress of the music business in the halcyon days proved to be too much for some but then, it was what it was. This music compared to the crap one hears now on the radio is reason enough to spend money for this fabulous fete. You will be glad you did.
The above icon is the “Trademark of Quality and Symbol of Integrity/Logo” of the Magnolia Hilltop Brewers and of What’s Cookin’ Productions. The AICP-END Blog copyrights this article © 08-14-2020, all rights reserved.
The American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day
The Stinkbug symbol on CDs, DVDs, and Books means “approved by the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day” as well as adjusted or edited by the photographic editor
Original Beverly Carrick Artworks, Beverly Carrick—World Famous Artist, Blue Öyster Cult, Allen Lanier, The Byrds, David Crosby, Chicago, Keith Howland, Sly and the Family Stone, Larry Graham, Jr., The Steve Miller Band, Ben Sidran, Stephen Stills, Crosby-Stills-Nash-and Young, Reichsminister of Foreign Affairs Konstantin Von Neurath, U.S. Secretary of War Peter Buell Porter,
TODAY IN HISTORY, FRIDAY AUGUST 14, 2020
PLEASE READ OUR MAIN BLOG POST, PUBLISHED AT 12:01 A.M.
Friday, August 14, 2020:
[i] We offered the music of the Byrds beginning on Monday, 16-January-2012 and concluded the presentation on Friday, 17-February-2012. Sadly, we were shortsighted at the time that we did not present the various members’ solo projects but one day, we hope to rectify that error.
[ii] When we promoted the music of the Byrds and then Buffalo Springfield, had we been more perceptive at the time as to how we would combined integrated musical groups and performers, we should have done the music of Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, as well as each artist’s solo catalog as well as that of the various members of the Byrds. We look forward to correcting that mistake at some point in the next 3-5 years so please remain alert for that day. You will be glad you did.
[iii] We began promoting the music of the Steve Miller Band beginning on Wednesday, 27-July-2011 through Wednesday, 24-August-2011 and then did a second stint on Sunday, 20-April-2014. We hope you will check the music of this amazing San Francisco, California, acid-rock blues band.
[iv] We hope to present the music of Sly & the Family Stone within the next decade or so. Please stay tuned for further information.
[v] We will present the music of Chicago- and its various members’ solo careers- sometime in 2030 so we hope you will remain with us until then.
[vi] See earlier footnote.
[vii] We are not sure when we will begin offering the music of Blue Öyster Cult but expect it will be sometime in 2025-2026 so please stay tuned.
WE WELCOME ALL OUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS TO THE NEW AICPENDBLOG.COM AT WORDPRESS.COM WHERE SCUM SUCH AS SUNDAR PICHAI CANNOT DRIVE A DAGGER INTO ONE’S NECK. PLEASE, SEND ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO VISIT US HERE AS THIS IS WHERE YOU GET THE UNVARNISHED TRUTH AND NOT THE ‘TRUTH’ COMMUNIST CHINA AND ITS LACKEYS WANT YOU TO HEAR
Help support the AICPENDBLOG.COM
The American Institute of Culinary Politics-The Elemental News of the Day seeks to build a better site as well as launch a website of interest to everyone. We can only do this with your help so we urge you to please, donate a buck so we can achieve greatness for the blog site and for our readership. Tough times are coming with the changes in the world so please, join us and support us. We thank you.