TODAY IN HISTORY
THE AICP-END BLOG
PO Box 20669
Bakersfield, CA 93390-0669
Business Phone: 661-374-1430
TODAY IN HISTORY @ THE AICPENDBLOG.COM AT WORDPRESS.COM
TODAY IN HISTORY—JULY 16, 2020:
Associate Justice John Paul Stevens; British Lions featuring Ray Major, Deep Purple featuring Jon Lord, Johnny Winter, Loggins and Messina, and the Police featuring Stewart Copeland:
- 622: The Era of Islam begins as Muhammad begins as he flees from Mecca to Medina, having been thrown out for promoting belief in Allah when the folks living in Mecca were polytheists.
- 1099: The Crusaders herd the Jews of Jerusalem into a synagogue and set it afire.
- 1429: Joan of Arc leads the French army in the Battle of Orleans.
- 1548: Spanish Conquistadors found the city of La Paz, Bolivia.
- 1683: Ottoman Empire troops under the control of Kara Mustafa attack the Austrian city of Vienna.
- 1790: A site along the Potomac River was designated the permanent seat of the government of the United States and came to be known as Washington, D.C.
- 1791: Until he agreed to ratify the new constitution of France, the revolutionaries in control of the country suspended King Louis XVI from his post as king.
- 1845: The New York Yacht Club hosts the first American boating regatta.
- 1861: The first major battle of the Civil War—the Battle of Bull Run—takes place with a Confederate victory.
- 1862: David G. Farragut becomes the first rear admiral in the U.S. Navy.
- 1875: The people of France finalized their new constitution on this date.
- 1911: Actress-dancer Ginger Rogers was born Virginia Katherine McMath in Independence, Mo., on this date.
- 1912: In New York, members of the Lennox Avenue Gang gunned down gambler Herman Rosenthal, who was set to testify before a grand jury about police corruption. Meanwhile, Bradley A. Fiske patents the airplane-launched torpedo.
- 1926: The first underwater color photographs appear in National Geographic magazine. Photographers took the photos in the Florida Keys.
- 1927: Augusto Sandino begins a five-year war against the U.S. occupation troops in Nicaragua.
- 1935: Oklahoma City becomes the first city in the United States to install parking meters.
- 1940: Adolf Hitler orders the preparations to begin on the invasion of England, known as Operation Sea Lion.
- 1942: During World War II, French police in league with the Gestapo arrest 13,152 Jews throughout Paris and held them in the Winter Velodrome. It was part of an agreement between Pierre Laval and the Nazis. Germany had agreed to not deport French Jews if France arrested foreign Jews.
- 1944: On the Eastern Front, Soviet troops occupy Vilna, Lithuania, in their drive towards Nazi Germany. Casualties are fierce as German troops put up a massive defense but have to pull out in the face of overwhelming Soviet forces.
- 1945: In the deserts of Alamogordo, New Mexico, the United States government exploded its first atomic bomb. Within hours of the detonation, the U.S. heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis leaves San Francisco with the components for the first atomic bomb the Allies will use against Japan on board.
- 1949: Ray Majors, future guitarist with the British band, the British Lions[i], was born on this date.
- 1950: The largest crowd in sporting history—199,854—watched Uruguay defeat Brazil in the World Cup soccer finals in Rio de Janeiro.
- 1951: J.D. Salinger’s novel, “Catcher in the Rye,” was first published by Little, Brown, and Company.
- 1952: Future rock drummer with the British band, the Police—Stewart Copeland—is born in the United States on this date.
- 1957: Marine Major John Glenn set a transcontinental speed record when he flew a jet from California to New York in 3 hours, 23 minutes, and 8 seconds.
- 1964: Accepting the Republican nomination for president in San Francisco, California, Barry Goldwater “extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice” and that “moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.” Elsewhere, the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives unanimously granted Little League Baseball Incorporated a federal charter on this date.
- 1969 Thursday: Blasting off from Cape Kennedy on the first manned mission to the surface of the moon, Apollo 11 headed for space.
- 1971 Friday: Generalissimo Francisco Franco, undisputed ruler of Spain since before World War II and only surviving fascist leader of the era, appoints heir to the Spanish throne, future King Juan Carlos, his deputy.
- 1973 Monday: During the Senate Watergate hearings, former White House aide Alexander P. Butterfield publicly revealed the evidence of President Richard M. Nixon’s secret taping system.
- 1976 Thursday: After six years of performing together, the rock duo of Loggins and Messina[ii] breaks up and goes their separate ways.
- 1979 Monday: Saddam Hussein became the president of Iraq after forcing Hasan al-Bakr to resign.
- 1980 Wednesday: At the Republican National Convention in Detroit, the GOP nominates Governor Ronald Reagan for its presidential candidate.
- 1981 Thursday: After 23 years with the name Datsun, executives of Nissan changed the name of their cars to Nissan.
- 1985 Tuesday: The first television program broadcast in stereo on a TV network occurred on this date- The All-Star Game on NBC-TV.
- 1990 Monday: The Ukraine declares its independence from the Soviet Union.
- 1994 Saturday: Anna Nicole Smith—a 26-year-old gold-digging slut—marries 89-year-old billionaire, J. Howard Marshall II, much to the horror of his family.
- 1999 Friday: John F. Kennedy Jr., his wife, Carolyn, and her sister Lauren Bessette, died when their single-engine plane piloted by Kennedy, plunged into the Atlantic Ocean near Martha’s Vineyard, Mass.
- 2002 Tuesday: The Irish Republican Army issued an unprecedented apology for the deaths of “noncombatants” over 30 years of violence in Northern Ireland.
- 2004 Friday: Convicted on a process crime of lying to the FBI about a stock sale, TV icon Martha Stewart received a sentence of five months in prison and five months of home confinement from a federal judge. What a waste of time.
- 2005 Saturday: “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” by J.K. Rowling, the sixth book in the Harry Potter series, hit bookstore shelves on this date, selling 6.9 million copies on the first day.
- 2008 Wednesday: Florida resident Casey Anthony, whose 2-year-old daughter Caylee, had been missing a month, was arrested on suspicion of child neglect, making false official statements, and obstructing a criminal investigation. Later, a jury acquitted Anthony on charges she murdered her daughter whose skeletal remains were uncovered in December 2008; however, she was convicted of lying to the cops.
- 2009 Thursday: The Icelandic Parliament votes to join the European Union. Elsewhere, in Chicago, Sears Tower was renamed Willis Tower.
- 2010 Friday: U.S.-born Muslim Cleric Anwar al-Awlaki is placed upon the U.S. terror blacklist.
- 2011 Saturday: The funeral for the final heir to the throne of the Austro-Hungary Empire, Otto von Hapsburg, takes place in Vienna, Austria and is attended by reigning monarchs and the political elite.
- 2012 Monday: Jon Lord, the founding member and keyboardist of the English band, Deep Purple[iii], dies after suffering a pulmonary embolism.
- 2013 Tuesday: In Greece, new austerity measures prompt the unions to call for a general strike.
- 2014 Wednesday: The U.S. adds new sanctions against Russia, prohibiting certain Russian international businesses from accessing U.S. capital markets; the move extends previous sanctions targeting specific individuals and their companies. Elsewhere in Zurich, Switzerland, famed rock-and-roll Texas guitarist, Johnny Winter[iv], died in his hotel room from a combination of emphysema and pneumonia.
- 2015 Thursday: According to Brainy History, “Game of Thrones” leads Emmy Award drama nominations with 24, giving network HBO the lead with 124 nominations overall; ABC ranks second with 42 total nominations for this year’s awards, to be held in September.
- 2016 Saturday: GOP presidential nominee Donald J. Trump announces former congressman and current Indian Governor Mike Pence as his running mate.
- 2017 Sunday: The British Broadcasting Corporation- the BBC- announces that actress Jodie Whittaker will be its first ever female Dr. Who.
- 2018 Monday: Following a Helsinki summit between President Donald J. Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump appears to accept the word of the Russian thug over that of U.S. intelligence officers and officials that Putin did not interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. [v] Meanwhile, scientists at the Carnegie Institute of Science announce the discovery of yet a dozen more moons encircling the Solar System’s greatest planet, Jupiter, bringing the number to 79 satellites orbiting the gas giant.
- 2019 Tuesday: Former 101st Supreme Court of the United States of America Associate Justice John Paul Stevens died in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., at the age of 99. Having suffered a stroke the day before, its complications killed him today. President Gerald R. Ford nominated Stevens- a Republican (who turned into a hardcore liberal) to fill the seat of Democrat Associate Justice William O. Douglas. Stevens served from 12-17-1975 to 06-29-2010.
- 2020 Thursday: The Xi Jinping Bat Flu continues causing problems around the world and in the United States. Here are the statistics for the planet as a whole: 13,654,445 confirmed cases, +272,425, 586,174, +6,136 confirmed deaths, and 7,622,505 confirmed recoveries, +177,206. Next, here are the stats for the United States, the intended target of the Chinese-engineered Wuhan Virus pandemic: 3,533,905 confirmed cases, +50,000, 138,538 confirmed deaths, and 1,026,816 confirmed recoveries. Next, in the three states in which, the world-famous American Institute of Culinary Politics-the Elemental News of the Day employs chef-bloggers- California, Hawaii, and Washington- here are the stats, California first: 356,178 confirmed cases, 7,345 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries. Next here are the numbers for Hawaii: 1,292 confirmed cases, 22 confirmed deaths, and 951 confirmed recoveries. Finally, here are the stats for leftist-Marxist-socialist hellhole of Washington: 43,046 confirmed cases, 1,421 confirmed deaths, and NO MENTION of confirmed recoveries.
- 2020 Thursday A: Here are the stats for today’s Stock Market closes: first the DOW Jones Industrial Average, 26,734.71, DOWN 135.39 points (0.50%). Next, here are the stats for the NASDAQ: 10,473.83, DOWN 76.66 points (0.73%). Finally, here are the numbers for the S&P 500: 3,215.57, DOWN 10.99 points (0.34%). Price of GOLD: $1,797.30 per troy oz., -3.00 (-0.17%) Here is the price of SILVER: $19.52 per troy oz., -0.053 (-0.27%). Price of PLATINUM: $834.70 per troy oz., -2.30 (-0.27%). Here is the price of COPPER: $2.89 per #, -0.007 (-0.24%). Price of Light Sweet Crude Oil per barrel: $40.73, -0.02 (-0.05%).
- 2020 Thursday B: Today is the 49th straight day of rioting and protests in the city of Portland, Oregon. Mayor Ted Wheeler, Democrat, says federal law enforcement is responsible for the rioting when in truth, it’s the ambivalence of the mayor and his city council that bears full responsibility for the mayhem occurring in that once beautiful city’s streets. It is high time President Donald J. Trump send in the troops and bring this out-of-control hellhole back into order. Arrest the mayor, mow down the Antifa thugs. Bring sanity back NOW! Meanwhile, national polling averages give “Pro-China Joe” Biden a 14-point lead over President Donald J. Trump. According to Democrats, Trump is ‘toast’ and might as well resign and go home NOW.
- 2020 Thursday C: Attorney-General William “Bill” Barr warns that not only is communist China- the ersatz Maoist nation- but Russia and possibly Kung Flu-devastated Iran are seeking to hack into the United States medical research databanks so they can STEAL our research into a vaccine for the COVID-19, aka Chinese Virus, aka Wuhan Virus, aka Coronavirus, aka Kung Flu, aka Xi Jinping Bat Flu so they can get a vaccine out first. Folks, if one of these S-hole countries produces a vaccine, don’t take it, it will be like every other ‘medicine’ coming out of the PRC- full of wallboard, toxins, and other harmful-to-human beings products. Made in the USA ONLY!
BEVERLY CARRICK ORIGINAL ARTWORK OF THE DAY:
This artwork is #0161 a 20” x 24” original oil painting by Beverly Carrick, which, she entitled, “Golden Days.” It is among her more beautiful works and is available for sale. You can see much more of her work at her Website, found at beverlycarrick.com, or at the blog’s Facebook page. At her Website, you will see not only more original oil paintings but also lithographs, giclees, prints, miniatures, photographs, and even her award-winning instructional video entitled, “Painting the Southwest with Beverly Carrick.” Beverly has been painting for more than 60 years and known around the world for both the beauty and timelessness of her artworks. Hanging in private and public galleries and followed by many fans encircling the globe—her works instill awe because of her artistic brilliance and personal beauty. We urge you to go to her Website NOW and view her work. It is possible that you will find something you like and will want to buy it for yourself, a friend, a loved one, or a neighbor! You will not be disappointed so please: do yourself a favor and go there IMMEDIATELY! Thank you, the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day!
Beverly Carrick: The World’s Greatest Artist (1927-2012)
ALBUM OF THE DAY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM:
Supertramp found themselves driven to craft a fourth album as good as their third and of course, the band struggled to some degree. Music critics were not kind but as we generally say, “Who gives a f**k what critics say? That is why they are critics they can’t write or perform music.” “Crisis? What Crisis?” came out on September 14, 1975 and once again featured the same lineup as the previous album. If you don’t remember, this is the lineup: Rick Davies (keyboards, vocals, harmonicas), Roger Hodgson (guitars, backing and lead vocals), John Anthony Helliwell (saxophones, flutes, vocals), Dougie Thompson (bass), and Bob Seibenberg (drums and percussion). Critics were unkind regarding the lyrics but there are very few master lyricists such as Robert Hunter, Keith Reid, and Bernie Taupin but still, these guys have done an admirable job. Seek this album out and add it to your collection. You will be glad you did.
The above icon is the “Trademark of Quality and Symbol of Integrity/Logo” of the Magnolia Hilltop Brewers and of What’s Cookin’ Productions. The AICP-END Blog copyrights this article © 07-16-2020, all rights reserved.
The American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day
The Stinkbug symbol on CDs, DVDs, and Books means “approved by the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day” as well as adjusted or edited by the photographic editor
Original Beverly Carrick Artworks, Beverly Carrick—World Famous Artist, the Police, Stewart Copeland, Ray Majors, British Lions, Loggins and Messina, Jon Lord, Deep Purple, Johnny Winter, Associate Justice John Paul Stevens, Supertramp,
TODAY IN HISTORY, THURSDAY JULY 16, 2020
PLEASE READ OUR MAIN BLOG POST, PUBLISHED AT 12:01 A.M.
[i] We promoted the music of Spooky Tooth, Mott the Hoople, Mott, the British Lions, and Widowmaker- among other interconnected bands beginning on Friday, 25-April-2014 through Tuesday, 01-July-2014. We hope you will check out this collection of great rock music. Even the worst albums among them beats the crap out of any bull crap music one hears today.
[ii] Not sure when or if we will ever do the music of Loggins and Messina or of each member but if we are still here in 20 years, we most likely will.
[iii] We shared the music of Deep Purple, Ian Gillan, Captain Beyond, Elf, and Rainbow beginning on Tuesday, 20-March-2018 and concluded this massive offering on Sunday, 14-October-2018. Please seek out the music by all of these phenomenal bands. All are fabulous.
[iv] We hope to celebrate the music of Johnny Winter and his brother, Edgar, at some point in the next two decades.
[v] It is important to note that Deep State intelligence officials have been spinning all manner of tales as to Trump and the Russians to the point that everyone is confused, especially if they are inattentive. As we found out in 2019 when the ‘investigation into Trump-Russian collusion’ led by former FBI Director Robert S. Mueller ended, there was never anything to the story yet people still believe that Trump colluded with the Russians to beat Hillary Clinton. Ask yourselves this: WHO would the Russians have wanted in the White House? Hillary Clinton or Donald J. Trump? Truthfully? The answer is simple. You know it in your heart.
WE WELCOME ALL OUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS TO THE NEW AICPENDBLOG.COM AT WORDPRESS.COM WHERE SCUM SUCH AS SUNDAR PICHAI CANNOT DRIVE A DAGGER INTO ONE’S NECK. PLEASE, SEND ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO VISIT US HERE AS THIS IS WHERE YOU GET THE UNVARNISHED TRUTH AND NOT THE ‘TRUTH’ COMMUNIST CHINA AND ITS LACKEYS WANT YOU TO HEAR