TODAY IN HISTORY
THE AICP-END BLOG
PO Box 20669
Bakersfield, CA 93390-0669
Business Phone: 661-374-1430
TODAY IN HISTORY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM AT WORDPRESS.COM
TODAY IN HISTORY—APRIL 24, 2020:
Ramadan Starts and Arbor Day
U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Peter Vivian Daniel; Badfinger featuring Pete Ham, Blondie featuring Nigel Harrison, Creedence Clearwater Revival featuring Doug “Cosmo” Clifford, and “Diamond Dogs” by David Bowie:
- 858: Nicholas I succeeds Pope Benedict III to be Catholic Pope.
- 1061: An English monk predicts that England will suffer destruction thanks to the passage of Haley’s Comet by the Earth.
- 1519: Envoys of Montezuma II attended the first Easter Mass in Central America—at the behest of Spanish conquistador, Hernan Cortes.
- 1704: The first regular newspaper in Colonial America, The Boston News-Letter hits publication.
- 1762: Russia and Prussia sign a treaty of peace.
- 1784: The future 28th associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court- Peter Vivian Daniel- was born in Stafford County, Virginia, on this date. A Democrat, he was appointed to the nation’s high court by President Martin Van Buren to fill the seat vacated by 25th Associate Justice Philip Pendleton Barbour. Daniel served on the Supreme Court from 01-10-1842 to 05-31-1860 when he died.
- 1792: Captain Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle composed the national anthem of France, “La Marseillaise,” on this date.
- 1800: Congress approved a bill establishing the Library of Congress and President John Adams signed it into being, which appropriates $5,000 to purchase “such books as may be necessary for use of Congress.”
- 1805: In Tripoli, North Africa, United States Marines attacked and captured the town of Derna.
- 1833: The creator of the soda fountain received a patent for the device.
- 1867: Black demonstrators stage ride-ins on Richmond, Virginia, streetcars.
- 1877: In defense of Romania, Russia declares war on the Ottoman Empire. Meanwhile, the last Federal occupation troops withdraw from the South, departing through New Orleans, Louisiana, for home. This would open the door to horrendous actions by Southern Democrats and their allies, the Ku Klux Klan. Every Black American needs to recall who the REAL villains in their mistreatment were and have been: the two groups above are responsible for their persecution and for Jim Crow/Segregation laws.
- 1884: In Atlanta, Georgia, the Black National Physicians Organization organizes.
- 1889: Thomas Edison and his business advisors organized the Edison General Electric Company.
- 1897: William Price became the first reporter at the White House.
- 1898: Spain declared war on the United States; the U.S. responded in kind the following day.
- 1913: The 792-foot Woolworth Building, at that time the tallest skyscraper in the world, officially opened in Manhattan as President Woodrow Wilson pressed a button at the White House to signal the lighting of the structure.
- 1915: What’s regarded as the start of the Armenian Genocide began as the Ottoman Empire rounded up Armenian political and cultural leaders in Constantinople.
- 1916: Some 1,600 Irish nationalists launched the Easter Uprising by seizing several key sites in Dublin; however, the British crushed it almost a week later.
- 1944: The first B-29 arrived in Nationalist China, flying ‘over the hump’ of the Himalayas.
- 1945: Doug “Cosmo” Clifford, future drummer of both Creedence Clearwater Revival[i] and Creedence Clearwater Revisited, was born on this date in history.
- 1951: Nigel Harrison—future bassist with the New York rock band, Blondie[ii] (1978-82 / 1997)—is born in the United States on this date.
- 1952: Raymond Burr made his TV acting debut on the Gruen Guild Playhouse in an episode titled, “The Tiger.”
- 1953: British statesman Winston Churchill was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
- 1961: Sandy Koufax of the Los Angeles Dodgers struck out 18 batters, becoming the first major-league pitcher to do so on two separate occasions. Elsewhere, President John F. Kennedy accepted ‘sole responsibility’ for the disaster HE set in motion at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba. He committed Cuban exiles to action to overthrow Fidel Castro and then in their hour of need, he abandoned them to death or to long prison terms in Cuban prisons.
- 1962: The Massachusetts Institute of Technology achieved the first satellite relay of a television signal, using NASA’s Echo 1 balloon satellite to bounce a video image from Camp Parks, California, to Westford, Massachusetts.
- 1963: In the 17th NBA Finals, the Boston Celtics beat the Los Angeles Lakers, 4 games to 2.
- 1965: New York Mets manager Casey Stengel wins his 3,000th game as the team’s manager.
- 1967: Soviet astronaut Vladimir Komarov died when his craft crashed with a tangled parachute. Meanwhile, the newest Greek regime banned the wearing of miniskirts.
- 1968: Leftwing student groups take over Columbia University in New York in protest of the war in Vietnam.
- 1970: China launches its first satellite Dong Fang Honk I which continually transmitted a song, “The East is Red.” Flipping communist SOBS[iii].
- 1973: Albert Sabin reported that herpes viruses were factors in nine kinds of cancer.
- 1974: The NFL grants a franchise team to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Meanwhile, David Bowie[iv] released “Diamond Dogs.”
- 1975: Peter Ham—guitarist/vocalist with the British rock band, Badfinger[v]—committed suicide on this date.
- 1980: To rescue the American hostages being held in Tehran, Iran, the operation fails as the helicopters either crash or stall due to an unforeseen sandstorm. Eight American special operations soldiers die as a result; this singular event seals the fate of President Jimmy Carter in the November elections.
- 1982: In West Germany, 150 followers of the Ayatollah Khomeini assault the student dormitory at a college campus.
- 1990: East and West Germany agree to merge currencies and economies as of July 01, 1990, on the road to German Reunification. Elsewhere, the space shuttle Discovery lifts off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, carrying the $1.5 billion Hubble Space Telescope into orbit.
- 1992: In Switzerland, rocker David Bowie[vi] marries fashion model, Imam.
- 1995: A package bomb linked to the Unabomber explodes, killing Gilbert B. Murray.
- 2004: The United States lifts economic sanctions imposed on Libya 18 years previously for its cooperation in eliminating weapons of mass destruction.
- 2005: Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger undergoes inauguration as the 265th pope of the Roman Catholic Church, taking the papal name of Benedict XVI.
- 2011: Pope Benedict XVI performs Easter Mass at Peter’s Square in Vatican City; he calls for dialogue and diplomacy to end Libya’s unrest.
- 2013: Americans learn the FBI and CIA had previous intelligence from Russia warning S. intelligence agencies about Tamerlane Tsarnaev’s extremist connections before the Boston Marathon bombings.
- 2014: The Federal Communications Commission moves away from the idea of net neutrality, in which all Internet users can equally access and view content; the agency instead proposes to allow large companies to pay Internet service providers for access to faster streaming “lanes.”
- 2018: President Donald J. Trump hosts his first state dinner for visiting French President Emanuel Macron. Elsewhere, according to IFPI, streaming music service sales overtake that of CDs, LPs, and tapes. Such a shame but young people are extremely unintelligent when it comes to sound quality.
- 2020: As of 22:00 hours, the current number of confirmed COVID-19 cases around the world stands at 2,790,986; the current number of confirmed deaths worldwide sits at 195,920 but the confirmed recoveries sit at 781,382. Sadly- thank you, communist China- the United States rapidly is approaching one million confirmed cases as this evening, we find 924,510 Wuhan Virus cases in the U.S. Currently, we have 52,296 confirmed fatalities but 100,795 confirmed recoveries. As for our People’s Republic of China ‘amigos,’ these scumbags claim (same every day) 88,423 confirmed cases with the same number of dead- 4,632 and 81,785 confirmed recoveries. Everyone understands communists always lie and so they are. As for the U.S. Stock Market, the DOW Jones Industrial Average closes at 23,775.27, up 260.01 (1.11%); the NASDAQ closes 8,634.52, UP 139.77 (1.65%), and the S & P 500 ends at 2,836.74, UP 38.94 (1.39%). The U.S. is and will recover and the PRC will pay an exorbitant price for the perfidy they have committed against the world.
BEVERLY CARRICK ORIGINAL ARTWORK OF THE DAY:
This artwork is #0079 a 30” x 40” original oil painting by Beverly Carrick, which, she entitled, “Runnin’ Late.” It is among her more beautiful works and is available for sale. You can see much more of her work at her Website, found at beverlycarrick.com, or at the blog’s Facebook page. At her Website, you will see not only more original oil paintings but also lithographs, giclees, prints, miniatures, photographs, and even her award-winning instructional video entitled, “Painting the Southwest with Beverly Carrick.” Beverly has been painting for more than 60 years and known around the world for both the beauty and timelessness of her artworks. Hanging in private and public galleries and followed by many fans encircling the globe—her works instill awe because of her artistic brilliance and personal beauty. We urge you to go to her Website NOW and view her work. It is possible that you will find something you like and will want to buy it for yourself, a friend, a loved one, or a neighbor! You will not be disappointed so please: do yourself a favor and go there IMMEDIATELY! Thank you, the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day!
Beverly Carrick: The World’s Greatest Artist (1927-2012)
ALBUM OF THE DAY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM:
The next album by Pink Floyd, “Ummagumma,” came out on November 07, 1969 and was the band’s first two-LP disc. It was amazing. The first LP featured the band live on stage while the second disc was split into four sections with each band member being given one-quarter of it for their own compositions. From start to finish, this is an amazing album, one that will boggle the mind. When we first listened to it back in the day, people were experiencing auditory and visual ‘insights’ that left some speechless for a day or two. This is a great album, one we know you will enjoy so we hope you will seek it out at whatever site you visit for the finest in psychedelic music, you will love it. We guarantee it.
The above icon is the “Trademark of Quality and Symbol of Integrity/Logo” of the Magnolia Hilltop Brewers and of What’s Cookin’ Productions. The AICP-END Blog copyrights this article © 04-24-2020, all rights reserved.
The American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day
The Stinkbug symbol on CDs, DVDs, and Books means “approved by the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day” as well as adjusted or edited by the photographic editor
Original Beverly Carrick Artworks, Beverly Carrick—World Famous Artist, Doug “Cosmo” Clifford, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Nigel Harrison, Blondie, “Diamond Dogs” by David Bowie, Peter Ham, Badfinger, Associate Justice Peter Vivian Daniel, Just the Facts, Pink Floyd, James “Jimmy” Hall,
[i] We promoted the music of the world-famous Creedence Clearwater Revival beginning on Saturday, 16-November-2013 through Saturday, 07-December-2013. Being the inattentive morons that we were back then, we neglected to promote the music of the band’s individual members. We hope to do this one day so folks, keep vigilant for the day when we do.
[ii] We hope to promote the music of Blondie within the next 7-8 years. We hope you will be with us when we do.
[iii] We should have shot down this POS satellite.
[iv] We hope to promote the music of David Bowie within the next decades.
[v] We should have shared the music of Badfinger at the time we promoted that of the Beatles but guess what? We flipping failed just as we failed to promote the music of Thunderclap Newman at the same time we did the Who. One day, we sure as heck will so please remain vigilant.
[vi] We hope to promote the music of David Bowie within the next decades.
WE WELCOME ALL OUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS TO THE NEW AICPENDBLOG.COM AT WORDPRESS.COM WHERE SCUM SUCH AS SUNDAR PICHAI CANNOT DRIVE A DAGGER INTO ONE’S NECK. PLEASE, SEND ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO VISIT US HERE…