TODAY IN HISTORY
THE AICP-END BLOG
PO Box 20669
Bakersfield, CA 93390-0669
Business Phone: 661-374-1430
TODAY IN HISTORY
TODAY IN HISTORY—JANUARY 10, 2020:
U.S. Secretary of State Jeremiah S. Black; David Bowie, the Faces featuring Rod Stewart, “Concert for Bangladesh” by George Harrison, Howlin’ Wolf, the Jefferson Starship featuring Aynsley Dunbar, Steely Dan featuring Donald Fagen, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers featuring Scott Thurston, and UFO featuring Michael Schenker:
- 49 BC: Following the demand that he surrender his Imperium, Julius Caesar and one legion commence crossing the Rubicon River for what would become the march on Rome- the original ‘march on Rome.’
- 236: St. Fabian begins his reign as Catholic Pope.
- 1429: Order of the Golden Fleece begins in both Austro-Hungary and in Spain.
- 1514: The New Testament portion of the Complutensian Polyglot Bible, featuring parallel texts in Greek and Latin, was completed in Madrid, Spain.
- 1776: Thomas Paine anonymously published his influential pamphlet, “Common Sense,” which argued for American independence from British rule.
- 1810: The French church annuls the marriage of Emperor Napoleon I and Josephine. Meanwhile, in Stony Creek, Pennsylvania, the future 23rdS. Secretary of State Jeremiah S. Black is born. He served under President James Buchanan from 12-17-1860 to 03-05-1861.
- 1811: Slaves rebel in two Louisiana parishes.
- 1840: The penny post, whereby mail undergoes delivery at a standard charge rather than paid for by the recipient, commenced in Great Britain on this date.
- 1860: The Pemberton Mill in Lawrence, Massachusetts, collapsed and caught fire, killing up to 145 people, mostly female workers from Scotland and Ireland.
- 1861: Florida became the third state to succeed from the Union. Meanwhile, Louisiana troops seize Forts Jackson and Philips from the Union troops.
- 1863: The London Underground had its beginnings as the Metropolitan, the first underground passenger railway in the world, opened to the public with service between Paddington and Farringdon Street.
- 1870: John D. Rockefeller incorporated Standard Oil.
- 1878: The U.S. Senate proposes female suffrage.
- 1901: The Spindletop oil field in Beaumont, Texas, produced the Lucas Gusher, heralding the start of the Texas oil boom.
- 1911: Major Jimmy Erickson took the first aerial photographs while flying over San Diego, California.
- 1920: The League of Nations was established as the Treaty of Versailles went into effect.
- 1928: The Soviet Union ordered the exile of founding communist member, Leon Trotsky on this date—Josef Stalin was the man who engineered his comrade’s downfall.
- 1943: Soviet troops launch a major offensive against the German 4th and 6th Armies near Stalingrad. Meanwhile, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt sailed from Miami to Trinidad becoming the first U.S. president to visit a foreign nation during wartime.
- 1945: Rod Stewart, member of the Faces[i] and a solo artist was born on this date.
- 1946: The first General Assembly of the United Nations convened in London, England. Meanwhile, in the same country, famed rock-and-roll drummer, Aynsley Dunbar, who would play with the Mothers of Invention[ii] as well as with the Jefferson Starship[iii], is born.
- 1947: The Greek steamer Himara hits a wartime mine in the Saronic Gulf south of Athens with the loss of 392 people of 637 aboard her.
- 1948: Donald Fagen, future keyboards/vocals 1972-81 / 1993-present with the American rock band, Steely Dan[iv], is born in Passaic, New Jersey, on this date.
- 1949: Future heavyweight boxer George Foreman was born on this date.
- 1951: Donald Howard Rogers piloted the first passenger jet on a trip from Chicago to New York City.
- 1952: Future member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers[v], 1991-present, multi-instrumentalist Scott Thurston, is born on this date.
- 1955: Famed rock-and-roll guitarist with the British band, UFO[vi] (1973-78 / 1993-95 / 1997-98 / 2000 / 2001-03), as well as with his own band, Michael Schenker, is born on this date.
- 1957: Harold Macmillan became prime minister of Great Britain, following the resignation of Anthony Eden.
- 1964: Panama severs diplomatic relations with the United States. Elsewhere, Vee-Jay Records released “Introducing the Beatles[vii],” an album that ran into immediate legal opposition from Capitol Records, which was about to come out with its own album, “Meet the Beatles[viii].” After a battle in the courts, the two companies came to an agreement.
- 1971: “Masterpiece Theater” premiered on PBS with Alistair Cooke introducing the drama series, “The First Churchills.” Meanwhile, French fashion designer Coco Chanel died in Paris at age 87.
- 1972: George Harrison’s[ix] three-record set, “Concert for Bangladesh[x]” is released in the United Kingdom.
- 1976: Famed American bluesman, Howlin’ Wolf[xi], loses his battle with kidney disease on this date.
- 1978: The Soviet Union launched two cosmonauts aboard a Soyuz capsule for a rendezvous with the Salyut VI space laboratory.
- 1982: The Cincinnati Bengals beat the San Diego Chargers in -59-degrees to win the AFL Championship.
- 1984: After 117 years, the U.S. establishes full diplomatic relations with the Vatican City.
- 1990: China lifts the state of emergency declared after the massacre of Tiananmen Square. Meanwhile, Time Inc., and Warner Communications Inc. completed a $14 billion merger, which made the new company, Time Warner, the largest entertainment company in the world.
- 1994: The Ukraine says that it will give up world’s third largest nuclear arsenal if Great Britain and the United States guarantee its national borders.
- 1996: Israel frees hundreds of Palestinian
- 2000: America Online announced it was buying Time Warner for $162 billion with the Federal Trade Commission approving the deal on December 14, 2000; however, the merger proved disastrous, ending in December 2009.
- 2001: American Airlines agreed to acquire most of Trans World Airlines assets for about $500 million. The deal ended the financially troubled TWA.
- 2004: CBS issued a damning independent review of mistakes related to a “60 Minutes Wednesday” report on President George W. Bush’s National Guard service and fired three news executives and a producer for their “myopic zeal” in rushing it to air, Dan Rather being among the fired. Elsewhere, a mudslide in La Conchita, California, crushed homes and killed 10 residents.
- 2010: Surpassing Germany, China becomes the world’s largest exporter.
- 2012: Mitt Romney wins the New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary; Ron Paul places second and John Huntsman places third.
- 2013: A shooting at Taft Union High School in Taft, California, took place as troubled student, Brian Oliver, shot one individual, Bowe Cleveland, and wounded one other student, both of whom had repeatedly bullied him for being Gay.
- 2014: Indonesia’s Mount Sinabung erupts again, with pyroclastic flows streaming down the volcanic slope; the activity has caused the evacuation of 22,000 people from the danger zone around Sinabung.
- 2015: Commercial space company SpaceX successfully launches its Falcon 9 rocket, which has released the Dragon cargo ship into orbit to the International Space Station; the rocket returned to Earth after releasing the Dragon but had a rough landing. Elsewhere, rock star David Bowie[xii] died after battling cancer for 18 months.
- 2018: Following the amazing mark that Jeff Bezos’ personal wealth hits $106 billion due to a rise in the price of Amazon shares, he becomes the second man in the world to possess wealth in surplus of $100 billion. This is a man that Senators Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders- among others- want to destroy.
- 2019: According to data published in the scientific journal “Science,” the world’s oceans are warming faster than expected due to the burning of fossil fuels. Many believe this is all propaganda designed to bring about the formation of a one-world government that leaders of the Third World will control and with which to redistribute the wealth of First World nations to S-hole countries.
- 2020: Democrats are now blaming President Donald J. Trump for the Iranian shootdown of a Ukrainian jetliner that killed 176 people aboard her. Yes, their arguments are convoluted and crazy but it’s all they have. Meanwhile, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, chewing her cud[xiii], says she is ‘going to send the articles of impeachment to the U.S. Senate NEXT week.’ Most political observers are skeptical of this statement. However, the dilapidated speaker says she will meet with her caucus in the House on Tuesday. Does she possess the pair of humongous balls to move ahead? We suspect she will because AOC is plotting behind her back. Meanwhile, Tehran swears on a stack of holy Qurans that they did NOT shoot down the Ukrainian airliner. Finally, Marianne Williamson becomes the 14th Democrat to abandon the 2020 race. Oprah- WTF did you continue supporting someone you encouraged to enter the race.
BEVERLY CARRICK ORIGINAL ARTWORK OF THE DAY:
This artwork is #1142 a 20” x 16” original oil painting by Beverly Carrick, which, she entitled, “A Family Frolic.” It is among her more beautiful works and is available for sale. You can see much more of her work at her Website, found at beverlycarrick.com, or at the blog’s Facebook page. At her Website, you will see not only more original oil paintings but also lithographs, giclée’s, prints, miniatures, photographs, and even her award-winning instructional video entitled, “Painting the Southwest with Beverly Carrick.” Beverly has been painting for more than 60 years and known around the world for both the beauty and timelessness of her artworks. Hanging in private and public galleries and followed by many fans encircling the globe—her works instill awe because of her artistic brilliance and personal beauty. We urge you to go to her Website NOW and view her work. It is possible that you will find something you like and will want to buy it for yourself, a friend, a loved one, or a neighbor! You will not be disappointed so please: do yourself a favor and go there IMMEDIATELY! Thank you, the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day!
Beverly Carrick: The World’s Greatest Artist (1927-2012)
ALBUM OF THE DAY AT THE AICPENDBLOG.COM:
Sadly, the Troggs were undergoing a change in musical direction but what the heck- rock and roll music fame and fortune can be a fleeting thing and management and production can be even worse. The next album released by the Troggs- “Hip-Hip Hooray” came out on July 04, 1968 and found the band moving into British pop-rock, which some would call bubblegum, which the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day does not call ‘bubblegum.’ Great British rock music by one of the seminal rock bands of all flipping time, we encourage everyone drawing breath to use the link and visit Amazon.com. There, you can get it in the format, the condition, and the price that works best for you. You will be glad you did.
The above icon is the “Trademark of Quality and Symbol of Integrity/Logo” of the Magnolia Hilltop Brewers and of What’s Cookin’ Productions. The AICP-END Blog copyrights this article © 01-10-2020, all rights reserved.
The American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day
The Stinkbug symbol on CDs, DVDs, and Books means “approved by the American Institute of Culinary Politics-Elemental News of the Day” as well as adjusted or edited by the photographic editor
Original Beverly Carrick Artworks, Beverly Carrick—World Famous Artist, Aynsley Dunbar, The Mothers of Invention, The Jefferson Starship, The Faces, Rod Stewart, Howlin’ Wolf, “Concert for Bangladesh” by George Harrison, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Scott Thurston, UFO, Michael Schenker, Donald Fagen, Steely Dan, David Bowie, George Foreman, U.S. Secretary of State Jeremiah S. Black, The Troggs, V. Vicky Mazarotti,
[i] We began promoting the music of an interconnected group of bands including the Small Faces, Faces, and Rod Stewart beginning on Tuesday, 22-April-2014 through Tuesday, 01-July-2014. This was a massive undertaking of rock bands and solo artists so we hope you will seek them out and consider adding the music to your album collection.
[ii] We began presenting the music of the Mothers of Invention and of Frank Zappa beginning on Monday, 21-January-2013 and concluded the presentation on Monday, 13-May-2013. Please seek them out, we believe you will enjoy the music of this famed man and his band
[iii] We promoted the music of the Jefferson Airplane beginning on Tuesday, 05-April-2011 through Sunday, 22-May-2011. This presentation included the Jefferson Starship, too, of which, the artist was NOT a member.
[iv] We expect to promote the music of Steely Dan sometime within the next decade or so.
[v] At some point when we return to presenting the music of American bands, we will promote that of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as well as of Tom Petty himself. We hope you will await word as to when we do. We thank you.
[vi] We look forward to promoting the music of UFO and of the Michael Schenker Group at some point within the next year. We hope you will remain vigilant as to the day that we do.
[vii] We promoted “Introducing the Beatles” on Sunday, 06-November-2016.
[viii] We promoted “Meet the Beatles” on Monday, 07-November-2016.
[ix] We began promoting the music of both the Beatles and the band’s individual components on Friday, 04-November-2016 through Sunday, 11-June-2018. Besides the Beatles, we also promoted the music of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and George Harrison as well as the Traveling Wilburys.
[x] We promoted George Harrison’s “Concert for Bangladesh” on Thursday, 16-December-2016. We hope you will seek the album out and add it to your collection.
[xi] Sometime within the next decade, we hope to present the music of classic rockers Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Howlin’ Wolf, Muddy Waters, and numerous others. We know you will enjoy the presentation so please; remain vigilant for the day we do.
[xii] We hope to promote the music of David Bowie within the next decades.
[xiii] Many people who contact us with comments are curious as to why someone so deranged as Nancy Pelosi is allowed to continue in her post. Why hasn’t her No. 2, Steny Hoyer, D-Md., not come up behind her and busted a cap on her head? We have no answer. However, many believe that the Baby Evita- AOC- aka the FLY- is the one calling the shots and that older Democrats fear having her primary them in this year’s elections by putting up nuts like her, Ilhan Omar, and Rashida Tlaib, to take them out. Time for a ‘Night of the Long Knives,’ folks, to remove these youngsters as threats to the established order.
WE THANK EVERYONE FOR JOINING US AT WORDPRESS.COM AND FOR AIDING US IN CONTINUING TO DO THE WORK WE TOOK UPON OURSELVES MORE THAN A DECADE AGO.